MAF; About time

I emailed IMER on the legability of Leopard Geckos and they replied with...

We are currently working with MAF to sort out a list of those reptiles that are not new organisms – therefore can be in New Zealand. From our records the leopard ghecko appears to be not a new organism, ie not illegal.

A bit late but will be really appreciated when ready.

perhaps a point to make to the authorities in nz is that if the mustelid population in nz is not controlled the only native anumals to protect in nz will be moved to doc controlled islands.

then it will become pay per view for all of us

luckily a leopard gecko is not an iguana

good luck with the males

are females from different bloodlines?

anyone's guess, assuming they are all Orana Park, but colours look different to ones in zoo's. Hard to tell if response to environment or if they are diff blood line.

no we cant import reptiles, they dont have i IHS (Import Health Standard) like the fish.

So you would have to apply to MAF to create a import standard. Then they would make all the guidelines and whats allowed in according to a list. Then you would have to get a facility that meets those standards.

Reptiles have been banned from import so you would have to prove that there would be a minimum risk of allowing importation.

Lots of time, not so much of the money side because allot of it is takeing research and what not to prove.

LOL I asked then teh same question about 6 weeks ago re a few types of reptiles that are already here including Leopard geckos and they said that they will not be issuing any new permits to import to any private collectors in the foreseeable future

Navarre

I have researched this and have found:

That you need to get a containment facility, the license runs you around $2000

After you have a license of you have to pay MAF I think it is one or two times a year to check to make sure it’s up to standard.

Then you can import reptiles, but first you need a IHS which MAF will not create, if you get all of this done you can import them into the facility. If they make the IHS then all you would need is a quarantine facility that meets to the standard.

If you cant get a IHS (takes one year) then you can go to IMER and get them to allow you to import animals under CITES.

If you can get the animal into the country and get them breeding you have three options.

A) Send back to the country at your expense

B) Keep them

C) Apply to have them released into the pet trade.

if you choose C you have three options...

A) Immediate and full release

B) Conditional Release

c) Release under a full investigation

The first two will run you around $500 and they are for organisms that are not genetically modified and will not survive in our environment.

Conditional release may be that they have to be a certain length, colour, sex

Now C) will cost you around $35,000 it is for an organism that may survive in our environment. It has to go before many researchers and be broadcasted to the media and over your TV2 News LOL

So you can import reptiles if you have the time, money, serious amount of guts and patience.

waste of time. see how they go with the health standards based on country of origin, and if it is approved things get a whole lot simpler. Then I just need to crack Big Wednesday and we will all have Tegus and Blue Poison Dart Frogs

arrrrrrrrrgahh(Homer Simpson)......Tegus......

After you have a license of you have to pay MAF I think it is one or two times a year to check to make sure it’s up to standard.

Then you can import reptiles, but first you need a IHS which MAF will not create, if you get all of this done you can import them into the facility. If they make the IHS then all you would need is a quarantine facility that meets to the standard.

If you cant get a IHS (takes one year) then you can go to IMER and get them to allow you to import animals under CITES.

If you can get the animal into the country and get them breeding you have three options.

B) Keep them

B) Conditional Release

The first two will run you around $500 and they are for organisms that are not genetically modified and will not survive in our environment.

Now C) will cost you around $35,000 it is for an organism that may survive in our environment. It has to go before many researchers and be broadcasted to the media and over your TV2 News LOL

So you can import reptiles if you have the time, money, serious amount of guts and patience.

400 hours of work and still not finished

8) 46,000 spent so far :o

B) Keep them

B) Conditional Release

good thing dreams are free aye charlie

• 2 weeks later...