May 1, 200818 yr Author comment_231347 Well one of the reasons for the upgrade is for the benefit of my Tangs. To be honest theres no where near enough room with the rocks in my current tank, so I want to make the new tank a wee bit like a racetrack, so rocks will be smack bang in the centre of the tank so they can race round and round all they want Report
May 1, 200818 yr Author comment_231352 Sure Currently have: Red Firefish Purple Firefish Blue Hippo Tang Sailfin Tang Yellow Tang 2x Clownfish Large Brittlestar 2x Skunk Cleaner Shrimp Tons of Turbo Snails I had a 6line Wrasse and 2x Seahares in there too, but it appears there may have been a suicide pact between them as 1 of the seahares stuck his head in a nanostream, and the Wrasse appeared to have stuck its head inside one of the Hydor Flos (guts was in there). The 2nd of the 2 seahares just disappeared And yes I am somewhat concerned about the firefish in the new tank. I'm hoping that the new lights that i'm building will be enough to cover the opening in the tank. It also has eurobracing which hopefully will help too. We all know they're little jumpers! Report
May 12, 200818 yr Author comment_234387 Tank is now at home (yay!). Pretty heavy! Big thanks to Tim for his help shifting, ontop of all the work he's done! A few pics taken in a rush this morning. If anyone wants to see something in more detail let me know and I'll take a specific photo Sorry, some of the pics are average, only had a few mins to take em before I had to leave for work Report
May 13, 200818 yr comment_234440 I love the tank building process, but if I dit it again in the next 5 years i'd get shot. :oops: Report
May 13, 200818 yr comment_234447 looking good! glad to hear the move went well, its always such a relief to finally have them in position and not have to move them anymore. So when does the changeover begin? Report
May 13, 200818 yr Author comment_234458 I've gotta sort out electrical cords etc etc, so once thats done I'll start filling it and pray it doesn't leak Report
May 13, 200818 yr comment_234495 I've gotta sort out electrical cords etc etc, so once thats done I'll start filling it and pray it doesn't leak If it was made by Tim it won't leak Report
May 13, 200818 yr Author comment_234506 I know, but tell that to my conscience, who seems to find possible problems with anything! Report
May 13, 200818 yr comment_234514 If it was made by Tim it won't leak thats what i was going to say Report
May 15, 200818 yr comment_235021 If it was made by Tim it won't leak thats what i was going to say spoken a little too soon eh!, :lol: Report
May 16, 200818 yr comment_235101 I guess although Tim made our tank and no problems even after me picking it up and driving to Nelson. Report
May 16, 200818 yr Author comment_235106 Lol, the tank doesn't leak, the overflow does, and that will be fixed in approx 1 hour 20 mins Report
May 16, 200818 yr Author comment_235122 Looks a bit small to me... Any bigger and I'll get kicked out i'd imagine Its lucky my partners Mum loves the fish hahaha Report
May 17, 200818 yr Author comment_235336 So after the small hiccup of the overflow leak, tank is being refilled now. Without sounding too eager, I'd quite like to get some liverock in there by tomorrow night. Can anyone see any issues with the following? Fill tank, check plumbing and work out the max and min on the sump, make sure theres no water being sucked back through once pump off etc etc. Mix salt in, once mixed add coral sand (new not old) Bring temp up to 26 overnight, add more salt tomorrow if required. Once SG @ 1.025 @ 26deg, add 2 or 3 liverocks from old tank. Monday Night - Check NH4, NO2, NO3 & other important params, if in check look at adding corals & more liverock? If not leave and retest Tues night? (adding CAL or KH etc if required) If the plan works well, any reason why I couldn't have everything transferred over by next weekend? From what I can work out it shouldn't be a problem, but just want to make sure I haven't missed something important? Report
May 17, 200818 yr Author comment_235339 Oh and 3 more questions With no livestock in the tank, am I safe leaving the skimmer on the old tank until I start transferring fish, or should I have it running on the new tank for a couple of days to pick up any crap that may be floating in the water? 2nd is in regards to heater redundancy. Currently theres 1x 300w heater in each tank. If I put 2x 300w heaters into the new tank, will there be any issue if they are sitting right next to each other practically touching each other? Running on a heater controller of course 3rd is about cooling. I've had a good run with PC fans ontop of my old tank. I wouldn't mind looking at something similar for the new tank until I can afford a chiller (if it ever comes to that). Would the fans be required to be ontop of the main display, or would they be effective enough running ontop of the sump? Cheers Report
May 17, 200818 yr comment_235392 Assuming you are transferring all your stock from your old tank, why don't you do your freshwater leak tests then drop the water level in the display so that you can transfer the water from your old tank with the stock. This will make it a lot less of a shock for all concerned. You could use a good 3/4 of the water from your old tank (syphoned out clean) and use the remaining to shake the crap out of your rocks and catch the fish in. This way the water conditions won't be massively different and you can just drop the fish in. Report
May 17, 200818 yr comment_235417 With no livestock in the tank, am I safe leaving the skimmer on the old tank until I start transferring fish, or should I have it running on the new tank for a couple of days to pick up any crap that may be floating in the water? Best to take the skimmer off the old tank and start skimming on the new tank. The old tank will do fine without it. just make sure you have pumps still in the old tank to move the water around. 2nd is in regards to heater redundancy. Currently theres 1x 300w heater in each tank. If I put 2x 300w heaters into the new tank, will there be any issue if they are sitting right next to each other practically touching each other? Running on a heater controller of course They will be ok. 3rd is about cooling. I've had a good run with PC fans ontop of my old tank. I wouldn't mind looking at something similar for the new tank until I can afford a chiller (if it ever comes to that). Would the fans be required to be ontop of the main display, or would they be effective enough running ontop of the sump? What are you trying to chill, its is winter Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.