Green Iguana.

Charlie

no,gannet.Stuff them,you can`t just let them get away with it and think people accept crap decisions.More likely to happen again if you go down that track?I don`t agree with smugglling part but the fact that people I know who paid big money for these animals ok`ed it with MAF before the purchase only to have said animals confiscated and destroyed 18mths later??only in NZ could that happen.

the fact the animals were advertised publicly and articles written in national papers and on tv, no action by authorities in that time led people to reasonably believe that they were alright to be in the country

then 18 months later the animals are seized and destroyed is an unacceptable action by the authorities and should be compensated for

For anyone who wants to know--- The rules are made by politicians elected by and answerable to us. That being the case we are ultimately responsible as we let them get away with it and put our energy into blaming the beaurocrats who have the job of enforcing the laws that the politicians we elected made. Don't vote---it only encourages them. There aint much point in blaming the messenger either. If you don't like the law give your politicians an ear full.

I don’t think because of this tread that MAF is going to be banning more species, if MAF want to ban a specie they have to go through a VERY long process unless it is a immediate risk.

I have had a chat to IMER about the reptiles and the importing side of things, I bring up the Iguana situation and they told me this. They only iguanas on record of entering the country where sent to zoos and public gardens and a total of three import documents can be located. They where NEVER cleared to be released into the pet trade. If they did get released into the pet trade they would be considered a illegal specie and would be dealt with accordingly. I feel that MAF slack action on the situation was appalling to say the least, they should of pounced before people gave up $5K plus! The animals shouldn’t of been destroyed but placed in a holding cell allowing public members to complete what is called 'quick release' form where IMER decided weather a new organism is suitable to be released.

I would like to know why KIM wasn’t made an example; MAF should have been all over her and all through her reptile stock to check if there where new organism or illegal and potential bio hazards, but they didn’t.

MAF need to re-think ALL of their importing and exporting procedures and get their inspectors up to scratch so they know their desired area inside out.

no,gannet.Stuff them,you can`t just let them get away with it and think people accept crap decisions.More likely to happen again if you go down that track?I don`t agree with smugglling part but the fact that people I know who paid big money for these animals ok`ed it with MAF before the purchase only to have said animals confiscated and destroyed 18mths later??only in NZ could that happen.

exactly the reason im annoyed (EDIT:watch your language please - Caryl). was told was not illegal to own them, so bought them and DONATED to a zoo. Zoo owner spent heaps on enclosure and he was told 2 different stories at least before they were killed.

Anyone who deals with Kim, or anyone who believes a word maf says needs a labotomy. Expensive, hurtful and completely unnecessary situation.

The only positive is that everyone got a big heads up on who can not be trusted- the reason this hobby sometimes has a bad rep is purely as the result of people who are in it for greed.

I don’t think because of this tread that MAF is going to be banning more species, if MAF want to ban a specie they have to go through a VERY long process unless it is a immediate risk.

I have had a chat to IMER about the reptiles and the importing side of things, I bring up the Iguana situation and they told me this. They only iguanas on record of entering the country where sent to zoos and public gardens and a total of three import documents can be located. They where NEVER cleared to be released into the pet trade. If they did get released into the pet trade they would be considered a illegal specie and would be dealt with accordingly. I feel that MAF slack action on the situation was appalling to say the least, they should of pounced before people gave up $5K plus! The animals shouldn’t of been destroyed but placed in a holding cell allowing public members to complete what is called 'quick release' form where IMER decided weather a new organism is suitable to be released.

I would like to know why KIM wasn’t made an example; MAF should have been all over her and all through her reptile stock to check if there where new organism or illegal and potential bio hazards, but they didn’t.

MAF need to re-think ALL of their importing and exporting procedures and get their inspectors up to scratch so they know their desired area inside out.

IMER?? U mean ERMA? Beardies, Blueys, Water D's, leopards, Shingles never 'cleared' either. Many shades of grey, and it is nothing to do with reptile hobbyists....

that stock of supposed babies that were sold, when dna tested were said to be unrelated so couldn't have been from 1 hatching

hence believed to be smuggled so efforts were made to get rid of them to prove a point to smugglers

sad to see the animals put down

sad to see the hobby go further underground

not a good public relations exercise all round

how u know were not related???

Green Iguanas are omnivores and will happily eat meat if given the opportunity. I owned one for a very long time and he was quite fond of Carne Asada Burritos.

vegetarian in the wild, will not chase down prey. An elephant or a cow would eat a burrito too, does that make them omnivores?

I want to do the whole MAF thing when I am older (currently 16) I am wanting to learn the way it works in depth so I can ultimatly work towards my dream of allowing importation of ceratin reptiles into the country. Call me mad but its something I want to have a go at. I adore reptiles and I am wating for a reply about the Leopards.

The problem with getting approval for animals, fish or plants that are not approved for importation for other than zoos is that you have to convince ERMA that they are safe to import and this can cost many thousands of dollars, without any guarantee of success. They would then have to get through quarantine after that as well. A good hobbie for fat cats with nothing better to do but a nightmare for us average yobbos.

Currently the only ones that benefits from the laws are those willing to break them and smuggle. Animals are coming in all the time and are not Q so we are in the position of having all the risk but none of the benefits?? It's just dumb!!!!

Currently the only ones that benefits from the laws are those willing to break them and smuggle. Animals are coming in all the time and are not Q so we are in the position of having all the risk but none of the benefits?? It's just dumb!!!!

agree with that bk

stupid thing is there is more risk of introducing diseases from smuggled stock than if it was done through legal channels