Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Panda cory breeding pics

Featured Replies

Managed to get a few pics of my panda cories in a breeding frenzy this evening. They are in a small breeding tank with sand, java moss, some rocks, driftwood and some breeding mops.

Males chasing the females around:

PP0008.jpg

This is the first time I saw the 'T-position' that I've read a lot about in the literature. Once in the position, the male shivers for a second or so (like you see with malawi cichlids) and then disengages. The female then appears to go into a daze (like female fighters after the 'squeeze') and lays still on the sand for 3-4 seconds. She then 'wakes up' and there's an egg clasped in her pair of fins under her belly (can't remember what they're called edit: ventral fins!) and she starts looking for a place to deposit the eggs.

PP0005.jpg

female with egg...

PP0004.jpg

PP0002.jpg

And i thought this was an interesting pic. Their barbels have variable black pigmentation..

PP0007.jpg

WOW incredible pics.. what sorta camera is that? I hope this inspires more people to breed these lovely fish. Once we found a baby panda by accident in a 2 foot tank. Cories often surprise you

  • Author

Thanks for the comments.

This was taken with my canon 400D with the 60mm macro lens. The cories were in a bit of a breeding frenzy, swimming all over the place during the photo shoot so I could only manage a few good shots - plus i'm a newby photographer as well.. :oops:

These are really lovely fish to both keep and breed - very gentle in nature and entertaining to watch. These guys were in a community tank before with guppies and in that setup, I'd find a new young cory emerge once every month or so - the guppies end up picking off most of the little babies. But now they have their own little tank and over the past week, they've spawned twice and I've collected about 70 eggs - some of which have started to hatch. Will keep this updated as I take more photos.

  • 2 weeks later...

What were the conditions like for the fish? Temp etc. What did you feed them and how big are they I have some elegans and aggazzi im keen on breeding soon

Nice perfect clear pics. Keep us posted on how the fry are going.

  • Author
What were the conditions like for the fish? Temp etc. What did you feed them and how big are they I have some elegans and aggazzi im keen on breeding soon

Tank is 45W 30H 25D giving a volume of about 34L.

Temp is about 25C.

I use Auckland tap water which is quite soft with neutral pH.

They range from 2.5cm to about 4cm in total length.

I feed them on white worms, blood worms and decap brine shrimp eggs.

30% water changes twice a week and they usually spawn not long after the water change.

Good luck with your cories - i think conditioning is the key! Feed them lots of live/frozen food.

Nice perfect clear pics. Keep us posted on how the fry are going.

Thanks.

Some of the fry are about two weeks old now.. will try and get pics later.

  • Author

Here are some pics of the fry...

They are in an opaque plastic container, floating in the breeding tank so its quite difficult to take a pic through the side of the container - this is the best I could do.

You can see the marking over the eye beginning to develop..

PP0038_1.jpg

And here are a couple taken from above the water...

The oldest fry would be a couple of the weeks or so and the youngest would be the newly hatched up just below the snail - the egg yoke is still visible.

They have just been fed some decap brine shrimp eggs - thats why their bellies are so orange!

The little dots on the container surface are left over decap brine shrimp eggs which will be eaten by tomorrow - This is an excellent food for the cory fries. I also feed them powered pellet food (NLS growth)

PP0037_1.jpg

PP0036_1.jpg

They're so cool I like their little wiskers. Congrats on getting them.

Do you know how many fry you have???

  • Author
Do you know how many fry you have???

From a quick count there's between 50-70 at the moment. But I'm pulling out about 70 eggs a week if I put in the effort and go hunting for the eggs!

Oh how do you collect the eggs? Do the parents 'stick' them on the side of the tank?

I use a floating mop luke - like the killifish breeders use and the pandas deposit their eggs in the mop. If I have time, I'll go through them once or twice a week and pick out the eggs which I put into a little container for hatching.

  • 2 weeks later...
  • Author

An update on the panda fry - they now have their own little tank and are growing fairly quickly..

PP0054_1.jpg

PP0052_1.jpg

PP0050_1.jpg

PP0048_1.jpg

This one I think is the oldest of the lot..

PP0053_1.jpg

  • Author
wow awesome you breeding any other cory?

I'm looking at adding a group of 6 Sterbai to my Panda breeding tank and see if I can spawn two species in one setup. One of sterbai appears to have burnt part of its head on the heater :o well it looks like a burn anyway - when it recovers, I'll move the group across. They are currently in a community tank.

  • Author
Corys can hybridize though, cant they?

Yes they can indeed hybridise but after doing some reading and posting on planetcatfish - the conclusion appears to be that if you have a large enough group of one species (and havng both males and females), then hybridisation is quite rare - although one person posted that they had a panda-sterbai cross in their tank. Anywhooo, it'll be interesting to see what happens - if hybridisation does occur, I'll just make sure they don't leave my tank :)

  • Author
Will you be selling the the babies on trademe?

I would interested

That'll depend on how many I raise to sale-able size..

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.