CHEAP tank stand?

Stella

I am putting together a four foot tank for some fast-water native fish. The tank arrived today (needed to be reassembled and new lids) so now I am thinking about a stand.

A friend has the simple concrete-block-plus-board style, which sounds nice and cheap.... I am sure it will look cheap too, but will do for the moment.

Now, what sort of board should I use under it? MDF would inevitably swell. Plywood?

Am also open to other ideas on how to do this cheaply.

• 3 weeks later...
Preferably marine ply if the budget goes that far.

why?

there has been alot of talk about plywood on here lately so here is some info.

Marine ply is A grade plywood with a different laminatation glue. this glue (can't remember name) is designed for curving the ply, when heated (usually with steam) it loosens & when the glue cools it resets & the ply holds its shape. kinda like hot glue. This was created for marine applications, curving for bows etc of boats. Its designed to be fibreglassed over & IT IS NOT TREATED! they have renamed it "Premium A" Plywood now because of the misconception it is treated. :)

Treated Ply is H3 plywood suitable for getting wet but not submersed in water.

then there is the different grades of face, A,B C & D............... im bored now. Anyone thats wants the rest let me know. :D

off topic a bit, i have just had a new stand made , i got the steel for free , ask at the motorcycle shops , they crate some of the bikes ,especially 4 wheelers in a steel frame , it is cheap steel but it ideal for tank stands mine was 2"x1".

i called in a favor with one of my customers and he welded it up for me.