Chooks

I live in suburban Wellington (Wadestown/Wilton area) and have for the last few years been trying to turn our place into my piece of paradise in the middle of the city. We have a small section but it is flat and fully fenced and is plenty big enough for the kids to have a good run around. We have a dovecote with currently 8 resident doves and a small pond out the front (since today) but I am wondering if there is anyone else out there who lives in suburbia and has hens? What size run would I need? How often do they need to be let out of the run? Am I crazy to even consider this?

We had them in town growing up it was a small rural town and we lived on a huge section.. They can make some noise, even the hen's make some noise in the mornings, don't get roosters! Also check your bylaw's I have no idea if its the type of thing thats in them but maybe call the council?

As for keeping them my dad made a hutch for them similair to a bird aviery with a small laying box on the side that you could open and get the eggs out of, we also had a run with fencing around 4-5ft high and clipped the chickens wings so they couldn't flutter out. They were out from around 10 in the morning and put back inside each night otherwise they hid their egg's and you couldn't find them :)

HTH good luck!

I vaguely remember hearing at one point that you're not allowed to keep any kind of farm livestock(In the case I heard it specified chickens) in the city.

But I did just have a quick look on the Wellington city council website and couldn't find any mention of it. Obviously noise would be the major issue if they're not specifically banned.

I know there are people down the bank from me who have hens and I know of at least 2 other people in Wadestown who do. I certainly wouldn't dream of having a rooster, I just want some free range eggs and a country feel (that sounds naff but you know what I mean). Thanks for taking the time to look on the WCC website for me :)

Here is our chook house, they roost in it at night there are 2 perches in it & the nest box is on the back, you can just see it, the nest has a lid on so it's easy to get the eggs. The run is too small to keep them locked in so they come & go as they want.

It's got wheels as you can see so we can move it and the top of the roof is hinged so we can get access to the perching area if need be. Comfortable accomodation for 8 chooks, 4 on each perch.

When I made it I didn't have any plans, just started sawing and nailing and that's what happened. :lol:

We are on Auckland North Shore, in a suburb, we have more neighbours than the photo makes it look.

000_0002.jpg

And oh, should have said, the best laying ones are brown shavers. Our last chickens we got as day old chicks that were brown shavers, and would have gone to a battery. So they don't know how lucky they are that we got them LOL!

They are excellent layers been bred for that & only eat 1/2 what some other breeds eat. Also very friendly birds they stay with you when you are outside just got to make sure you don't stand on them.

If you let them roam and they dig up the next door neighbour's garden they could become casserole. Most Local Authorities that have bylaws on poultry will have requirements on the cages they are confined to and I don't know of any that would allow them to roam free. No problem if the neighbours don't complain--- casserole if they do.

By laws in our area are no permission required for up to 12 chooks. No roosters though. No regulation about cages.

Obviously common sense would apply and we make sure they do not annoy the neighbours or go on their properties. We also give the neighbours eggs.

Our neighbours are not the type who would turn them into casserole, people are capable of communication around here, if there was ever a problem! :wink: