Power cut 9am-6pm

GZ_Loach

might be worth hiring a generator? temperature etc will be fine but dont think filter will be too good being off for that long?

other option i guess is an inverter, run off a car battery, just to run filter, which wont be drawing much current at all.

If you're really worried about it, pull the media out of the filters, give them a quick clean(Just to get rid of the garbage) and drop them in your tank so they don't suffocate.

Otherwise I wouldn't bother doing anything other than checking every few hours to see if the fish are gasping. 9 hours they should be perfectly fine. I'd even be tempted to just turn the filters off when the power goes out and then just give them a quick clean after it comes back on before turning them back on.

HOw about battery powered air pumps?

If you put the filter media in a bucket of tank water and ran an airstone it might help preserve the bacteria?

I had a 5 hour unsuspected power outage a month ago and I had ammonia spikes in both my tanks 24 hours later.. small ones though. But my tanks are lightly stocked.

As long as you know there a chance it will happen.. have your test kit ready and be prepared to do some water changes to help it along.. should be no worse then adding a few new fish!

Hi All.

It is always a problem with prolonged power outages as to what to do for the best. :roll:

As an afficionado of the "VERY OLD SCHOOL", I dont even know why so many are hoodwinked by so few as to the need for all the modern day paraphinalia that has become the norm for fishkeeping.

Forty eight years ago a filter was a semicircular (quadrant) piece of plastic about 75mm deep that was suction cupped to the top corner of a tank, and used an airlift venturi principle to operate, and was "EASY to FIX UP".

Non of these "High Powered Canister Filters", "Bio Noodles", Bio Balls", "Power Heads", "UV Sterilizers", plus all the medications that are used to increase the good bacteria levels.

The KISS Principle worked then and it still to this day works for me. :wink:

If people are going to use all these modern adornments, I would very strongly, and with expert knowledge suggest that they consider buying a LOW OUTPUT POWERED GENERATOR, even a "WHARE WHARI" one for about $100.00 that will run your tank in an emergency.

Let's face it, it's coming on to winter and power outages "WILL HAPPEN" whether hobbyists like it or not.

:bow:

If this is some sort of Council maintenance shutdown then you'll probably find that the power will be off for a far shorter amount of time. I'd just keep everything plugged in and switched on, chuck a blanket over the tank to keep the temperature from dropping too quickly, and maybe use a battery powered airpump if you have a heavily stocked tank. Once the power is back on, do one of those old fashioned water change things.

Not all filters will run on a UPS. I'm at work so can't ask husband but something to do with different sine waves or something :-?

And most UPSes especially that you'll get for sub $150 run off a single 7-12 ah lead acid brick. Say you have 20 watts of filters that's going to last you at best 7 hours before it's absolutely dead. And 20 watts is a small cannister filter.

And most UPSes especially that you'll get for sub $150 run off a single 7-12 ah lead acid brick. Say you have 20 watts of filters that's going to last you at best 7 hours before it's absolutely dead. And 20 watts is a small cannister filter.

(ok, ok, its actually $155)

http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?item=UPSDNX1001

I've probably calculated that wrongly but it should last for 50 hours.

That one has two 12v 7ah batteries, so 14 ah capacity. A 20 watt load at 12v would be 1.66 amps. 14 amp hours/ 1.66 amps=8.5 hours. Which is a good long time, but not 50 hours. And realistically it's probably going to be less than that.

• 1 month later...
That one has two 12v 7ah batteries, so 14 ah capacity. A 20 watt load at 12v would be 1.66 amps. 14 amp hours/ 1.66 amps=8.5 hours. Which is a good long time, but not 50 hours. And realistically it's probably going to be less than that.

It has 2 x 12v 7 AH batteries, but in series, so its 7 AH at 24 V...

20 watts at 24 volts is 0.83 amps

7 / .83 is still ~8.5 hours.. so no change in the outcome.. but you are halving the current by using a higher voltage :)

It has 2 x 12v 7 AH batteries, but in series, so its 7 AH at 24 V...

20 watts at 24 volts is 0.83 amps

7 / .83 is still ~8.5 hours.. so no change in the outcome.. but you are halving the current by using a higher voltage :)

6 of one, half a dozen of the other.:P