Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Is this fish sick?

Featured Replies

I have started a tropical tank about 11 days ago and just noticed that one of the ? Guppies has what looks like air bubbles..but white on her...she is the only one in the tank with it?

What do i do? this is the first day i have noticed it

  • Author

Just did a more thorough check and a few more have these *white spots*

the one I described has the most of it. The rest have a few spots mainly on the end of their tails and a few on their bodies.

I want to treat them before it gets too bad and I start to loose fish.

What about some tonic salt?

I can't get anything till after work tomorrow...

I have only had these fish for 11 days and would hate to start loosing them :cry:

Sorry don't have a camera but did look up pics of Ich or white spot as they call it and that is what it definitely looks like.

Would i carry on and do my water change on Friday while I am treating them?..or risk it and keep treating them and not change water...

Follow the directions on whatever you buy, not to say that you wouldn't :oops: But the meds actually kill the cycts once they have fallen off the fish, so most meds require dosing for a period of time after you no longer see the white spots. *knock on wood* haven't had to deal with ick in quite sometime so forget exactly how the meds work.

A reminder to take out any carbon while you are treating the tank as well because the carbon will remove the meds.

Caper

If your going to add that white spot cure be careful if you have clown loaches or any scaleless fish in your tank it can kill them sometimes you have to do a half dose..

Also with increased temp make sure you increase the airation (or can if the fish all start gasping at the surface).

I have had no trouble with getting rid of whitespot with salt alone it does the job 1TSB per 20L.

  • Author
If your going to add that white spot cure be careful if you have clown loaches or any scaleless fish in your tank it can kill them sometimes you have to do a half dose..

Also with increased temp make sure you increase the airation (or can if the fish all start gasping at the surface).

I have had no trouble with getting rid of whitespot with salt alone it does the job 1TSB per 20L.

So it would be a good idea to add some tonic salt as well?

I am due to do a water change on Fri/Sat..can i still go ahead with this ..or wait a few extra days?

It will be my second water change while cycling....

How many fish do you have in the tank and how big is it? Are you doing all your tests etc to check that everything is ok?

Keep doing your water changes.

I use rock salt from the supermarket I think tonic salt will do the same. The wonder whitespot cure works well however what other fish do you have in the tank?

If you do a google search on whitespot it will bring up more info that you should read on how to treat it and its live cycle etc..

  • Author
Are you an experienced aquarist? Do you know about the Nitrogen Cycle? If not do some reading up on this too. Being forewarned is being forearmed.

Tropical fish are new to me.

Yes I had read about the nitrogen cycle. Rather complex. But I am getting the hang of it.

When i got goldfish I was told to *age* the tank..but no explanation given!!

But sometimes I need to ask questions to make sure I am on the right track.

I am sure he was trying to be helpful. Many people have not heard about cycling and have no idea what it is. Nobody has implied you are stupid.

Sorry to upset you!!

It s just that a while ago I made a mistake because I was not aware of an aspect of the cycle, and lost some fish... just was trying to be helpfull.... I feel it is better to warn for things then be sorry afterwards...

DKC

  • Author

Update on my fishes.

Treating them for white spot and putting something else in as well that the LFS recommended. It is in a Blue bottle and has Aloe Vera in it.

They are looking much better.

I have lost 2 fish so far.

My Platy has quite a few spots but is handling it. One of my Neons has a few spots but not many.

The one that had a lot they have all come off *hatched* and she is doing well.

It is now day 17 for my *Family*

  • 4 weeks later...

I swear fish have just turned really soft over the last couple of years, the last time I kept fish I had no idea what cycling the tank was and none of my fish ever died until they were eaten or that time that the heater shat itself and turned my tank into a big boiling fish stew. haha

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.