My new Terrarium

georgeous

Hey,

I got a terrarium (yes yours Snookie :D) and I was wondering what to put in it in the way of plants and rocks.

Here is what I thought would be a good idea for it-

terrariumsmaller.jpg

The problem is that the bit with the water in it leaks. I am trying to source some silcone as none at home :(

I will be going for a walk tomorrow morning in the local bush to find and bring back some plants for it.

Cheers,

George

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just make sure the silicone is clear and it says safe 4 aquariums this means it has no mould or mildrew killer in it, all the coloured 1s will i use the selleys wet area 1 or the rtv 1 which is more expensive but beter, the selleys1 is about $10 and u will need a caulking gun (bout$3) if its really fine repair work u can squirt some into a syringe (without needle!) and use that

Hey,

went out and bought a tube of "Selleys Glass Silicone Sealant" and so now have all of it sealed up.

It says:

Aquarium - allow to cure fully for 7 days.

Do I have to wait that long because it's not an aquarium (as in it won't be holding any more than like 6 litres) or can I cut the waiting time back a bit.

Also, when can I start putting dirt and plants in. Do I need to wait at all or can it all just go straight in?

Is potting mix ok to have in there?

Went out for a walk in the bush this morning (had to get up a 7 :o ) with my best mate and so now have lots of small ferns and mosses and a little little treey thingy. Oh and a couple of branches for climbing on (not me silly :lol: )

Can't wait to start planting and filling up with water - and then I can add frogs :D .

Cheers,

George

That would be more of a paludarium than a terrarium as It has water. Whats going in it? Nice tank, cant wait for updates.

Frogs :D

pics please when finished

Thats the first thing on the list after finishing :D

u should be alrite after 24hours just sit some water in it 4 24hrs after that and tip this out before using it near critters as it gives off toxins whilst setting

Cool can't wait till ah... 12.39 Tuesday 8) (OH NO I will be at school then !! :evil: :lol:

Cheers,

George

I used spent potting mix so that there was no residual fertilisers in the mix. To get it I repotted an old pot plant. I mixed half old potting mix and half sand. It works a treat.

If you use garden soil there will undoubtedly be some bugs in it. So if you don't mind the bugs crawling round that is an ok option.

HTH

I used spent potting mix so that there was no residual fertilisers in the mix. To get it I repotted an old pot plant. I mixed half old potting mix and half sand. It works a treat.

If you use garden soil there will undoubtedly be some bugs in it. So if you don't mind the bugs crawling round that is an ok option.

HTH

Right... Thanks for that... Maybe a mix of 1/3's??

Cheers,

George

instead of using potting mix use sand or seedraising mix as this has no fertiliser in it, u could then use extremly diluted liquid fertiliser a blood and bone 1 would be best look on the packet buy 1 with a low nitrogen value e;g N:2P:5:K4 as nitrogen based componds can be deadly 2 frogs

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

IT STILL LEAKS!!! Filled it up just now and watched the water spread out under the glass... :evil:

So now I have to re silicone it, but at least I know where it is leaking from so wont have to silicone the whole thing :x Still pretty mad though...

And at least I still have some silicone :roll:

Will have a go at it again later when its dry

Yea - has been leaking for the past few days, and so I have patched it up with alot of silicone. Hopefully when I try it out it won't leak. because I am sooooo hanging out to move it into my room and start planting and just generaly landscaping the place :bounce: :bounce: