any morphed Axolotl ?

snookie

I think it should be noted here that NATURAL morphing is desired here and not morphing caused by treating juvenile form axies with th******* for adult metamorphosis development. Unnatural metamorphosis is cruel and unusual treatment of an axolotl which induces a huge amount of stress and dramatically shortens the life span of axolotls.

I only mention this as varanophile doesn't have a problem with hormone treating frogs for sterility therefore assume that they may be trying to treat axolotls with th******* in order to sell the morphed adults (as a rarity).

Please avoid buying hormone treated axies, it's far from a perfect science and the resulting individuals often end up only half transformed with stunted gills yet still confined to water due to underdeveloped lungs.

I forgot all about natural and artificial morphs dude if you are making the axies morph unnaturally like your hormone treated frogs STOP! it is cruel and plain wrong to tamper with these animals genetics i got caught up in the moment and forgot all about people manipulating them

young axies morphing through minerals in their water or induction of th***** last a long time, but a few can be lost in the process

morphing adults can produce a high death rate and very shortened life expectancy

morphed axys are an unwanted organism

i think if you knowingly manipulate them its wrong either hormones or purposely through there water if you're into axies you know what i mean lol i hope

but if a axie is allowed to naturally morphed i am all for it as alot of natural factors can lead to them morphing from what ive seen and read on the net

i just realized that the white albino i am hunting for the golds and i think leusistic are all geneticly modified because naturally they are black brown tints of green i think and the other colours have been modified to allow certain colours thru and certain colours not to come thru in order to get that colour so hhmmm interesting

Actually, albinism in axies was developed through hybridization between axolotls and tiger salamanders rather than direct genetic or hormonal modification. See this article under Frankensteinolotl for more info.

Mark - Thanks for the pointer on the age of the lotl going through th*******, I didn't know that. Can you point out a case study (through PM preferably) showing that they can be happy healthy morphed adults?

i just realized that the white albino i am hunting for the golds and i think leusistic are all geneticly modified because naturally they are black brown tints of green i think and the other colours have been modified to allow certain colours thru and certain colours not to come thru in order to get that colour so hhmmm interesting

can you define genetic modification you have stated?

in their home range, the water table dries up in the summer season, this allows water high in mineral content to enter the pools they live in.

this naturally causes changes in the axy's so they can leave water that can become poisonous to live in.

the axy's that are kept as pets are derived from animals used in experimentation, it is easier to keep a lot of axolotls in a water environment. So axy's that were more inclined to stay in the larval stage were used for breeding, thus the axy's in the NZ pet trade are harder to morph to a salamander.

Morphed Axolotl are probably an unwanted organism as the habitat they require is the same as our endangered native frogs who don't need any more competion or another predator harassing them.

blue my info comes from as a youngster we morphed a few axys, but a google on axolotl metamorphosis will turn up some good university studies on this subject in the states

maybe this will explain why it is hard to morph the axys

So, why don't axolotls morph like their amphibious cousins? Researchers at the University of California at Davis think they have the answer--a single gene, the part of DNA that influences the development of a trait. This particular gene appears to block metamorphosis in axolotls and sentences the critters to life underwater. The fact that a single gene can dictate an entire species' lifestyle is mind-boggling, says researcher Bradley Shaffer. "It's usually thought that characteristics, like metamorphosis, are controlled by many genes, not just one" he adds.

I have to say I've seen one of these guys and it was a bit sad. It spent a lot of time hiding and didn't seem to have much interest in checking out new things in its enclosure, unlike my axies who are very nosy, or just plain greedy :P If I remember rightly they're much more prone to illness and if limbs are damaged they don't regrow as their regenerative abilities are lost once they change although I'm not 100% sure on that. All in all I think they look much better and happier in the water.

you're right rebecca they spend most of their time hiding and are just big slugs.

tend to dig into the dirt a lot, harder to feed too. well that is too find things to eat that live in a dark moist environment long enough for them to catch. larval axy's are more interesting :D

read a thesis done on axy regeneration of limbs that found regeneration was good when they were young but as they got older was harder to grow new limbs, morphed ones did not regrow limbs.

they also fed a bucket of LSD to an elephant to see what effect it had on it,

poor thing went crazy and had to be shot, all in the name of science, well some ones idea of research anyway :o