February 28, 200818 yr comment_217205 Thinking I'll spend some coin to replace the cartridges in my RODI unit as I'm unsure of age, and dont have access to a TDS meter to tell me if they're stuffed or not. Wheres the best place to go in CHC to buy them? Will I need to take the old cartridges in? Its a 3 stage filter, RO Prefilter, DI, then RO again (if that makes sense, I'm not too clued up on them). Recently tested the final water product that it produces for PO4 & NO3, and it shows a reading of 0 on both. Report
February 28, 200818 yr comment_217206 Recently tested the final water product that it produces for PO4 & NO3, and it shows a reading of 0 on both. So does my tapwater (teeheeeheee) Report
February 28, 200818 yr Author comment_217208 Mine doesn't 0.03 for PO4 I'm jsut concerned that if the filters are stuffed, that it would be worse putting the produced water into the tank than it is to use the tap water? I have considered going back to using tap water along with a heap of PO4 remover, like yourself conch Report
February 28, 200818 yr comment_217218 For testing purposes, tds is the only truely reliable way to know how the cartridge is performing. Basically you test each stage seperately. Report
February 28, 200818 yr Author comment_217224 Which requires a TDS meter, which I dont have, and not sure I want to spend $$$ for a 1 time use. I see a local reseller has one for $69 odd, but as mentioned, is it worth it for 1 use? And how accurate is one that cheap going to be? $69 could go quite a way towards replacing all the filters? Report
February 28, 200818 yr comment_217236 I'd have thought you'd have replaced them already if you were going to. I must have contaminated the filter with my procrastination and you caught it. Report
February 28, 200818 yr comment_217250 You might be able to get your TDS level tested for free at a swimming pool shop? The one I used to work in up here tested for TDS... Can always try Report
February 28, 200818 yr Author comment_217267 I'd have thought you'd have replaced them already if you were going to. I must have contaminated the filter with my procrastination and you caught it. LOL! Is that what that strange thing was that came in the box with the unit? Report
March 5, 200818 yr comment_218546 I brought a TDS tester last time i did my RO. It cost $135 for the tester which was worth it because it would have cost me the same for the membrane filter which did not need changing. It my take a few years to get my moneys worth out of it but at least i know for sure now when to change it. Report
March 6, 200818 yr comment_218738 Don't forget when you do test the water that you should perform the test after the RO stage and before the DI stage. So you will need to break the link temporarily. Otherwise you might get a 0 reading at the end of both which could simply mean that the resin is working overtime to counteract for a poor membrane. In my unit the tap water enters with a TDS reading of around 130 which drops to between 50 and 60 after passing through the RO and then finally down to single digits when passed through the resin. Personally for $69 I'd buy one. I have 2 TDS units, one which measures to an accuracy of 1 in 100, the other to 1 in 1000. The first unit cost about $200 and the more accurate unit about $300. I only ever use the first unit now; and I do use the unit regularly every month just to check that top off water going in remains as pure as it can be epxected to be. Report
March 10, 200818 yr Author comment_219693 OK so got a cheap TDS unit. The unit was spitting out water @ 17ppm (tap water here in CHC read 45ppm) Replaced First RO cartridge, changed it to 8ppm, replaced DI cartridge, 0ppm Seems i'm unable to test the tank water tho, the unit reads ERROR, and thats the same for my saltwater storage aswel. Oh well at least I know i'm using excellent water now Report
March 10, 200818 yr comment_219697 you cant use a TDS meter to test saltwater as the has to many minerals in it TDS is for freshwater only. I would stick with chch tap water as it is pure.. where did i read that.. Report
March 10, 200818 yr comment_219698 :lol: i was waiting for you to say that reef , at least finally answers the question on chch water. BTW where did you get your tds meter matt? and did you go for an inline unit or a 'pen' style meter. I'm desperate to connect my di unit up to the tap but haven't managed to find a faucet adaptor to connect it yet. I was thinking of grabbing one of those pen style tds meters of ebay Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.