Fish dying

Caryl

Fish have been dying over past week (not my tank by the way). Both old and new fish over all species (community tank). Tank well established and not overstocked.

Dead fish appear red on the undersides and look a little swollen.

Ideas please - both on what it could be and appropriate treatment.

In a previous life, when I imported goldfish, I did so because most of the goldfish in NZ where infected with a disease with similar signs. It mainly affects gold fish but can affect other fish. It is bacterial hemorrhagic septacemia and is caused by the bacteria aeromonas. I had a friend who was a Govt analyst in a micro lab at the time and kindly did some work on them for me. At the time the cheapest effective antibiotic was bactrim which can be used at a much higher dose than most other antibiotics if required. If my memory serves me correctly aeromonas is a common bacteria in soil. There is a viral type as well which would be more of a challenge.

Having had a couple of cups of coffee I now remember the antibiotic was amoxyl and I still can't remember if that is the same as bactrim. most antibiotics are used at 1/100,000 or 10ppm but amoxyl could be used up to 5/100,000 or 50ppm. The bacteria usually enters through a wound but if the fish are stressed they may have had a hard time from other parasites which could leave lesions.

Not a new batch of food. The tank is my son's and his partner's. It cracked a couple of weeks ago so was totally replaced. All gravel etc was transferred over. They are very good at the regular water changes and gravel vac so I don't think it is buildup in gravel.

Dena did a 40% water change last night and there have been no deaths since and all the fish look well but she said the others looked well up until they dropped dead too. :-?

Alan I don't think Bactrim and amoxyl are the same thing. I can't find bactrim on my meds database (I am at work :wink: ) so perhaps it is no longer available. Amoxyl is penicillin. If the fish are still dying I will get a script for some amoxyl (one of the advantages of working for a GP) and see if that works. Am wary of adding meds to tanks though.

I wondered about both but Tim has been making tanks for years so I doubt the silicone is a problem.

I would not have thought the cycle to be that much upset as when the tank cracked they immediately transferred all quickly to a spare tank and the filter was up and running again very fast.

I looked it up on the work database for all meds available in NZ. It is not in it.

Co trimoxazole is trimethoprim and sulfamethoxazole. This combination used to be called Apo-Sulfatrim and was deleted Nov 2004 but is also found in Trisul.