Miracle Mud

reef

The potential disadvantage I would see would be a large swing in pH from day to night due to the abundant photosynthesis during daylight, then plenty of Co2 production at night.

If you run the skimmer at night that would solve the problem.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The main time to watch all the critters is at night with a torch. The sign you have a really awesome ecosystem up and running in the fuge is when you are watching it with a torch in the late hours of the night, then you are suddenly disturbed by an angry wife yelling at you wanting to know why you have spent "hours" staring at the tank at night with a torch! :lol:

(Yes, personal experience! Time can slip away! :lol: )

ROLF - You're not alone there Wasp!! :lol: :o I get it during the daytime too...at least once a week I study my display - :D

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I see the Tank of the month uses miracle mud.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-05/totm/index.php

Anyway for me it is working well, the algae is growing well, i only run the lights over the algae for 12 hrs a day.

You see so many hobbyist say it will crash if you dont run 24/7 lighting over it, but as yet i am still waiting. i have 4 types of alage and they all are growing well.

I am trying to see if the alge will crash if i get my nutrient very low, but as yet it still grows well but a little slower.

Here are some pics of the sump.

Before

20080217_3525.jpg

20080217_3526.jpg

after

P5100529.jpg

P5100528.jpg

P5100530.jpg

I'll be watching your thread with interest, ill be changing my tank design in the next few months including adding a larger sump with refugium. I was toying with the idea of adding a miracle mud system but not sure if it really necessary with the small amount of sps in my system

Miracle mud runs well with any system not just an sps tank.

My algae, has been in the tank since 20 feb and I have just pruned a huge amount out 5 days ago, grows like crazy. I also have 5 types of algae floating around in there

DSC00594.jpg

You don't need MM to get that sort of algae growth, Mine grows in my refugium just as well (when nutrients available) on bare rock.

MM is not all about growing algae, the algae is optional,

The mud feed the algae and it adds minerals/vitamins to tank.

I have a number of tanks with algae and they dont grow as fast and are not rich in colour like the algae that is the Mud.

Mico algae will grow in any tank but not at the same rate, you do want it to grow fast so it can remove organics in the tank.

can i ask what types of algae you have growing,

Not sure, its a type caulerpa. not taxifolio :D

How are corals such as xenia that like a bit of nitrate in their tank likely to fare in a MM system?

MM is ideal for all corals and why would xenia like nitrate?

Xenia like to have a bit of organics in the tank not necessay nitrate.

MM is only another tool to export nutrients . pretty much like a protein skimmer,

Why would you add nutrients, so your algae can grow, to remove the nutrients!!

And what "minerals and vitamins" are you adding, and what corals if any, need it?

Because you need minerals like iron etc, which is used by most corals and the algae.

iron for one is very import to corals and very helpful in keeping goniopore alive.

There are many type of nutrients that are not removed by the skimmer but used by the algae.

MM also helps in removing nitrate most like due to the compacted Mud.

BTW reef, not having a go at you, just trying to get info on what this mud is, and why it's a miracle.

Always seemed to me to be one of those "snake oil" products, i.e. claims alot with no evidence.

After all, you have given zeovit heaps over the years for exactly the same thing - not telling people whats in the formulas and evidence that it works.

my mistake: re xenia, previously i remember you (reef) mentioning xenia liking organics which i misinterpreted as nitrates. makes sense now i think about it as my nitrates are usually 5 or 0 but my xenia grows like a weed

I have always wondered why it is called a high nutrients system. I have very low nutrients, zero phosphates and nitrates, no nuisance algae or cyno. My colours are starting to look very nice and I get good growth.

It is a very simple system to use and the results are good, maybe not as amazing colour wise as some tanks or with the best growth ever but both are better than average. Having said that I saw reefs tank 3 weeks ago and his colours are still amazing, still probably the best tank I have ever seen in person.

Each to their own though I suppose