Jewel

Naz_Nomad

I have been given a permission slip for a new three foot tank for the study. (My evil plan of filling the room with small tanks til the wife told me to go buy a big one so she can have some surface area worked well.)

I have been out to have a look round and quite like the Jewel 180L model.

Does anyone have any experience with Jewel aquariums? Are the filters etc up to scratch? Any problems? Or should I just go out and buy before the Mrs changes her mind?

I have been given a permission slip for a new three foot tank for the study. (My evil plan of filling the room with small tanks til the wife told me to go buy a big one so she can have some surface area worked well.)

I have been out to have a look round and quite like the Jewel 180L model.

Hmm,

do you have in writing that your wife told you to go and buy a big tank?

:wink:

You wouldn't want to disappoint her by getting an "average" size tank now would you?

Maybe like an Aquaone Royale 120....

or an Aquagrande 180...

Just say that you're not to good convering imperial measurements to metric!!

Yeah, I wanted the 240L model but she insisted that the 180 was the way to go. Especially as there isn't really space for a 240 litre according to HER measurements. (According to mine, I would fit a five foot tank in there, just need to remove a computer chair which means standing at the computer. I don't see a problem with that...)

Hi There,

I have a Juwel corner tank set up for Discus.

Heavily planted with under gravel heating about 6-10 cm substrate and Plants galore...about 350l from memory.

I have found this tank to be excellant.

Easy to service, as Filter contents all lift out in a "basket" thing pump is easy to remove as is heater etc.

easily handles 5 teenage discus, assorted cats and so on.

Also eaily handles plant matter etc.

I placed dark blue-black paper behind tank to hide wires etc and cant even see filter.

Only prob I had was with plugs being european but I brought Tank from Redwood Aquatics and they supplied adapter with tank so was no big deal really.

lights all very good and easy to get spares but I haven had to do so yet and has been running for about 18 mths.

Also your space might suit a cnr tank better then ...less space = bigger tank and you can still sit at 'puta.

HTH

Navarre

Thank you all very much.

Navarre - the wife didn't like the corner tank, though I tried to convince her that we'd be able to fit a bigger one in.

I have ordered and will be picking it up Saturday morning. Going to use the Jewel rock face backing thingies as I think they make a nice change from plain black backings and are designed to fit into the tanks.

Thank you all very much.

Navarre - the wife didn't like the corner tank, though I tried to convince her that we'd be able to fit a bigger one in.

I have ordered and will be picking it up Saturday morning. Going to use the Jewel rock face backing thingies as I think they make a nice change from plain black backings and are designed to fit into the tanks.

yeah the rock backings are awesome, (altho expensive)

you'll have to put pics up!!

I hope this image posting thing works otherwise I'm going to be embarrassed!

Picture001.jpg

This is the rock backing for Jewel Tanks. apologies for the flash in the middle. It's the wife's fault.

It gets stuck in with silicon glue and the two pieces fit the tank exactly, even taking into account the filter housing on the right of the tank.

Picture002.jpg

In the centre of the tank there is an upper brace which requires some carving to get the backings to fit. In order to get the backing in, you have to carve more than is needed due to lack of maneuvering room. I kept the bit I had carved out and merely refitted some into the gap so it hardly shows now.

Picture003.jpg

This is the tank 24 hours later when the water was first added. It is very cloudy due to the added TLC and the usual debris - no matter that I sat washing gravel for hours! The first plants have gone in already along with two nice bits of driftwood.

Picture014.jpg

And this is how it is today. There are now five small swordtails in there to help cycle who have been added over five days. The water clarity was excellent after a couple of hours.

Hang on - having a fiddle...

Old:

Picture001.jpg?t=1202845615

Picture012-1.jpg

Hit the 'quote button' and you will see the code I've used - see the difference? If you go to photobucket, open the picture, then put your mouse over it and right click you'll see the properties. Cut and paste that string between the 'img' tags

Hit the 'quote button' and you will see the code I've used - see the difference? If you go to photobucket, open the picture, then put your mouse over it and right click you'll see the properties. Cut and paste that string between the 'img' tags

Thank you. The difference being the ?t=1202845615 at the end of my copy and paste from the right click thingy.

I'll nip back and see if I can edit...