brown algae

georgeous

Brown algae feeds on silicate, which is leaching from your (new) glass. It will settle down and be replaced / displaced by green algae. I'd recommend you get some lights for your tank and plant a few plants if you wan't to get rid of the brown algae and prevent green algae taking hold :wink:

Brown algae is NOT an algae.

It is a single celled organism with a sillica shell. Not a plant, more like a bacteria.

Apparently it is from too much phosphate and sillica in the tank. (I would be surprised if it was leaching from the glass). It doesn't cause any harm apart from looking unsightly.

It is not food for anything unfortunately (some things may appear to eat it, but it has little nutrition I think...)

In your situation it sounds like it is a new tank thing. My tanks all have terrrible problems with it and I have no idea why. One tank has been going over a year. It is very frustrating.

Apparently it is from too much phosphate and sillica in the tank. (I would be surprised if it was leaching from the glass). It doesn't cause any harm apart from looking unsightly.

Has the terracotta pot the angels lay on ever had earth in it? Could that be a source of phosphates? Or Silica? As your tank is an old one the tank itself probably isn't the source of the silica I would have thought.

Because you used a filter off an existing tank when you started, the cycling should have been quicker than normal, as far as ammonia and nitrates are concerned anyway.

I can loan you an apple snail if you want to see if that will help...

Cheers,

Sam