Look what I just got!!

yarimochi

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is the updated shots of my tank, went out and bought 5 silver dollars today and they have settled in perfectly, schooling very well. As you can see in the photo, my bichirs are very happy to be in their new tank and the driftwood at the end of the tank is doing well.

tankupdated.jpg

bchirsontop.jpg

Looks good, but...

How secure are those big upright bits of wood? My 14" ornate would knock them for six with the way he swims around!

As i mentioned in my previous post they have 2 bits of corflute (type of sheet plastic) nailed to the bottom of them. The plastic is then buried under the gravel. Nothing is going to be able to move em.

As i mentioned in my previous post they have 2 bits of corflute (type of sheet plastic) nailed to the bottom of them. The plastic is then buried under the gravel. Nothing is going to be able to move em.

reading > me :oops:

Looks great, I like the red substrate, I'm thinking about putting it in my next tank if I don't use tiles.

Looks like the fine "grit" HFF sell, comes in either red or grey.

Its hard to syphon because it gets sucked up easily, personally I wouldn't use a thick layer of it like that because it will be hard to stir up to clean. Big fish also stir it up when they swim so make sure canister filter intakes are well above the bottom and/or have a pre-filter over the intake.

Doesn't bother my sump tho :P

yeah ive found that substrate to be very very attractive with all of my fish. It brings out the colours of my ornates beautifully and im hoping its going to enhance the colours of the aro. it is the red grit they sell at hff albany and i find that you have to be more careful when siphoning but its not impossible at all. silver dollars are schooling like crazy, very very cute fish.

im gonna use scornia as a substrate for my 8footer

i figure, scoria is semi pourous, lost of surface area, acts like a bio media ball things. so havng the entire substrate with it will look nice - a volcanic feel to it, desert like. more martian:D and have a double effect as a massive filtration system.

:D