reflection in tank

Smax

is there anyway to get rid of your reflection when looking at the tank. every time i take a photo of it i get a slight mirror effect and can see the fish plus me taking the photo. at the moment the tank has black polethene (i think thats how ya spell it) around 3 sides.

I met Steve Moore the other night, he is an amazing photographer of fish and invertebrates, so I had to ask what he did.

Nothing much... just angle the camera down to avoid reflections from the flash....

He just uses a simple camera too!

Another trick is to use a bit of black card with a hole cut for the lens. He uses that sometimes but finds angling works fine.

Take your photos at night, with all the room lights off and only the tank lights on.

Oh, and no flash, either...

HTH

Yup that works well.

Some pics from last night.

Cheers

Ian

DSC06527s.jpg

DSC06533s.jpg

DSC06536s.jpg

Plecos are easier because they sit still ;)

Faster moving fish I keep the camera lens against the tank glass and use the flash. Because the lens is on the glass you dont get a reflection off the glass.

Cheers

Ian

I do what Ian does too, have the lens touching the glass of the tank - good for stabilisation as well.

Nice pics Ian - I like the second one.

I have also taken to putting guppies that I want to photograph in a small plastic box that business cards come in - stops them swimming out of camera range!

Heres a sample pic..

green-diamond-male-01.jpg

Might try it with a piece of black card behind the box next time.

• 2 years later...

Need help please with taking photos been trying to take photos of my bettas but the pics keep coming out blurry.

Would anyone know the correct setting for exposure and white balance ?

Have a very small tank for photos which i have painted black for the lighting and have a lamp over tank also have male in tank to get the males to flare works well just pics are coming out terrible .

Maybe its my camera its new has 10 megapix and 8 digital zoom but its one of those point and shoot ones regret buying it now should have got a nikon

Need help please with taking photos been trying to take photos of my bettas but the pics keep coming out blurry.

Would anyone know the correct setting for exposure and white balance ?

Have a very small tank for photos which i have painted black for the lighting and have a lamp over tank also have male in tank to get the males to flare works well just pics are coming out terrible .

Maybe its my camera its new has 10 megapix and 8 digital zoom but its one of those point and shoot ones regret buying it now should have got a nikon

Focus helps. And lots of light.

I use a point and shoot for all my photos. Darken the whole room except directly over the tank, make sure it's on macro (the flower icon) and try to set the ISO as high as possible if they're coming out blurred.

HTH