blue tongue substrate

scott16

what does everyone else use i use newspaper at the moment but am wanting to use something better looking something like sand but ive already had my blue at the vet from conjuctivitis cause sand was in his eye well thats what vet said anyway

so what do all you other bluey owners use

Ive had mine on quite a range fo substrates. Dirt, sand, large river pebbles, leaf litter, woodchip, grass...combinations of several, each with their pros and cons.

Depends what look you want, how you want your blueys to display and how much time you want them to spend digging and re-landscaping the enclosure. I tend to prefer to deter mine from digging up the enclosure too much so i use a denser subsrate with a lighter one is the places i want them to dig into, such as packed dirt or sand as a base with leaf litter inside the hollowed out logs etc. Tends to be easier to clean up after them too.

My large enclosure now has mostly topsoil with vegetation, and a sandy area. My young blueys are now on only desert sand.

already had my blue at the vet from conjuctivitis cause sand was in his eye well thats what vet said anyway

After digging through sand mine often come out with their heads coated in sand, hasnt once caused an issue as they soon go about rubbing it off on the various objects around the enclosure or washing it off in the water bowl. Unfortunate that yours had such an issue, one of those things you just need to keep an eye on i guess.

I kept blue tongues for a couple of years and used immitation grass - the sandy one which I could just hose down when I needed to clean them out or I have used aspen shavings - not harmf :) ul like pine to them - a bit messier and from Animates hughly expensive.

Jam