Samoa

Fmxmatt

Anyone here been to samoa for a Holiday?

My partner and I are planning a trip around August, and would like to do a bit of snorkelling and attempt diving. Anyone who has been before, can they recommend the best accomodation, activities etc? Have been looking at Sinalei Resort for accom as it looks like theres a reef right on the beachfront :D

Be VERY careful when you go snorkeling. Make sure you ask around to see if it's safe.

I was about to go to a little place not far from Apia... until I later found out that a sewage outlet was near there and the water was quite polluted. Things could have changed though as this was about 6 years ago now.

We stayed at the Kitano Tusitala and it was pretty good. Nothing extremely fancy but a good place to stay and would happily go back there.

Just be prepared for MAXIMUM heat. I went there during winter and it was hotter than I could ever imagine. Night time is similar to what it's like during a hot summer day here. And even the rain is warm :-?

As for activities, I highly suggest getting out of the central areas and going into the country. VERY beautiful.

Which Island are you going to? We only stayed on... the main one with Apia (forgot the names of them now), but I've heard the other Island is a whole lot better and worth the trip :D

We've been to Vanuatu before so are well aware of the stinking hot and humid conditions that the pacific islands provide. As for the snorkelling, will make sure before we go. Aparently there is a natural spring at the resort we plan on staying at, that has been tested and complys with NZ standards etc etc

We'll be in Apia, but the other side of the island from the city (30 mins according to them, 25 miles)

We can also go diving through our resort aswel, they appear to have good contacts with a diving outfit

Which island? On the main Island (Upolo) best place to stay is Lolomanau which has ok snorkelling. The other good place to stay is Virgin Cove, which is a nice eco-village but doen't really have snorkelling. On Savaii, the best snorkelling is Manase Beach, talk to Fabian at the dive shop there, and he will take you out on his boat to the best spots. I haven't been diving at Samoa yet (I am going to go do my PADI there in July) but I have done quite a bit of snorkelling. Hope that helps- David.

Been to Samoa 3 times, Sinalei, very nice, its on the south side of the island, they have a shuttle that runs into apia every day if you want to have a look around town. There are no good beaches in the Apia (rocks)

If you want to stay in town though, Aggie Greys is the best place to stay.

Snorkelling around sinalei is not too bad they also run dive boats from there as well.

A dive boat is in Apia as well, some nice drift, deep and reef dives around the marine reserve.

I rate Samoa very highly as a place for a holiday.

/Bruce

All good info, Cheers!

Sinalei looks like where we'll end up staying, expensive but looks pretty nice.

Looks like the dive boat from Sinalei does the Padi course, but I'm not sure we'll end up doing that. If we enjoy it then might do the Padi course here when we get back for any future dives.

you should definitely do the diving! my partner and stayed at Matamanoa resort in fiji and did our first 2 dives and they were incredible. Second dive was a shark dive and we saw around 5 black tip reef sharks was great and would love to do more diving

Hi,

Can recomend the diving.

You could do a try dive at the big red dive shop in town before you go Matt.

Costs $20 and you can do about an 1 to 11/2 hours at QE2 pool.

Will not get you a dive over there but can help set you up for it.

Another thing you can do is what is called a resort dive. or a scuba dive course. You can do these in Samoa and the resort dive is where you get the basics in shallow water and then go for a brief dive with a Dive Master or Instructor. Scuba Dive Course means you do more of the Padi Open Water Scuba Dive course and can dive deeper and a little more independantly.

Shouldnt be as expensive as a full OW course and if you get your course details when you leave you can cross credit it to the full course back here in NZ.

If you want info about stuff to do before you go then give me a PM and I can tell you about a few more things.

HTH

Navarre (Padi Master Scuba Diver Trainer)

i live withmaster scuba diver instructor atm, so hes usually all good to help out if i need it. and my skills will be through the roof hopefully, lol, im doing marine studies at tech so theres plenty of diving happening all the time, but thanks for the offers mate, will keep it in mind.

Prepare yourself for a culture shock it is a very poor country but the people are very nice. I went to Apia (Kitano Tusitala) but all the best beaches are on the other side of the island. Everyone goes by taxi as they are very cheap and prices outside of hotels also cheap.