Java Fern

Barrie

Could some one please tell me what is the lowest temp that Java Fern will live at?

I have some killis that I want to put outside and was thinking of floating some on top of the tanks

These Killis can live (and prefer) lower temps so they should be fine over summer

I just left some java fern on a log outside in a bucket for a week. We had a couple of near frosts and some very hot days...

- result was a lower water level, and the leaves out of the water died ( no surprise!) and the ones just below it went a silvery bronze colour, I guess they got burnt, either by frost or sun.

I have mine growing like crazy directly under a 250W metal halide (only 250mm away). It's fine either in or out of the water. The emergent tips of the plant do not die. It is much lighter green in colour than normal however. The tank temperature ranges from 26-30 winter to summer. Java fern is pretty tough and adaptable. As Caryl said, it will cope with anything the Killi's can.

As stated, if the killies survive so will the java fern. There are a number of Java fern types and I am not sure about each one but would suspect they will be similar. It should grow well with sunlight from above but if it "dies" I would leave it as this is often where plantlettes develop. Please report back.