diy co2

anthony law

iv just about finnsh of other projects iv been wroking on. :lol: iv been wondering about put a co2 to my six hundred liter planted tank . :o

questen 1 how many co2 units i need for this tank.

^ 2 what the mixure to run the co2

^ 3 how long does a mixure last for.

4 what the pros and cons of running co2

what to look for when running co2.cheers ant :hail:

It's a cool science experiment, but I found it was just a pain in the ass in the end.

Hate to say it, but I wouldn't even bother with compressed CO2. It's so expensive to setup. Personally if I ever did a planted tank again, Flourish Excel + Daltons Aquatic mix.

Excel is expensive, but damn does it work good, and cheaper if you buy in bulk. I hate the idea of using aquarium chemicals but this stuff works amazingly well and will prevent hair algae at the same time.

If you do use DIY yeast/sugar, try to use a filter as a diffuser, otherwise it just bubbles up and doesn't do anything. It does have an effect, but nothing compared to Excel and/or a well setup compressed CO2 system.

Sorry for triple post, but compressed CO2 might be the best value for money. Excelling a 600L tank would be $$$ on a regular basis.

If you go DIY yeast, do some testers blowing bubbles in to a bucket or something for a week, so you can work out your doseage. ALso remember fresh yeast works better than old yeast and it makes a huge difference.

With the amount of money you will be spending on ingredients, the amount of effort it takes, and the much higher risk of things going out of control and the levels going up, down and all over the place, you may aswell spend $150 or so on a single gauge regulator and needle valve off trademe, then rent a bottle from BOC for $10 a month, and you have instant co2; extremely reliable, extremely safe, no effort, no risk, doesnt cost tooooo much, a bottle lasts ages and altogether its WAAAAAAAYYY better :D :breath:

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have vaguely thought about combining a DIY CO2 system with a home brew kit! :o

I mean, when you're making home brew, CO2 is the waste product so you have to set up a system to release it out of your brewing container.

When you're doing DIY CO2, it's the yeast/sugar mix that's the waste byproduct.

If you could set up a system that made use of both ends of the process, there would be no waste! :bounce: And everyone would be happy! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :lol: :lol: :lol:

• 5 months later...

Thread revival! Anyone thought of using the small paintball 9 oz co2 cylinders? Too small? Incorrect thread on top to accept regulator fittings? Would they be similar to the soda streem ones? :D

They are both readily available for a small price...

Does anyone know how much a small bottle from a gas company is worth and about how much to fill?

Cheers.