Can someone please explain about the list.

Fishkeepa

Well I was thinking

I know we have the list and no new species were allowed into new zealand for the last how many years.

So why were galaxy rasboras allowed in, as far as i can remember they were only discovered early this year or late last.

Did someone have to pay for the rights to get them cleared for importation?

I many cases the list denotes allowable species or family so i can only assume that as Danios, or Rasboras as they were described back then were already allowable so the celestial were allowable.

Interesting point though-Jack Dempsey's and convict cichlids( both common as here) have been re-classified and its likely their new classification doesn't appear on the list..

My understanding is that the list and its workings is under revision.

Just as well as it seems to be a bit of a mess.

The problem is that you are talking about A Govt dept.

They assume that if there is too much dialogue between us that cronyism(?) is bound to develop and rules will ignored.

they seem duty bound to stoop to the lowest common denominator particularly in terms of character and ethics, so common sense is probably not policy.

There are undoubtedly better ways of working the system, the list should be drafted with input from all sectors of the indusrties concerned, but at the end of the day we are a tiny percentage of a tiny prcentage of a tiny market.

Next year they are reviewing the importing of parrot eggs, Hopefully they will use some common since and realize that prohibition doesn’t work. I'm sure MAF etc try there best but without the hands on experience they are really behind the eight ball compared with those that keep these. I have my fingers crossed, there are some very rare parrots in NZ that we are running out of blood lines to breed with, importing of parrot egg will most likely have no effect on the price but will give us the opportunity to continue with the conservation work being done by private individuals at there own cost. There is one of the blue Macaws that is now not found in the wild but is being breed by individuals. The Brazilian government has claimed owner ship of all these birds and all but one breeder has recognized this, they have kept these birds but the Government keep’s a stud book and make’s the discussion about what birds get paired. While some people see parrot keepers as part of the cause of this problem there is also a case to say that with out this happening there would be none left. I'm sure the same applies to fish (Red Tail Shark)but could you image what it would take to work out what is under threat.

What does MAF use to decide if they can be imported or not.

Are they a threat to our waterways?

Are they under threat in their own country?

There are a few that are on Cities list so these shouldn’t come in unless they can be proved to be from a renewable source.

I believe that they work on the first one so shouldn’t all tropical fish be allowed in?

While the endangered element no doubt comes into play, MAF probably don't have the resource to keep cuurent with this. As you've mentioned fish like the L46 zebra pleco is in danger in its natural habitat in Brazil because of the taking of wild caughts and the afct they decided to build a bloody great power station on their back door step. yet this fish is bred everyday in aquariums around the world.

I would say that the Bio security issue is of greater importance to MAF.

So how many of the 'topical' fish we wish to keep/import would last one winter here if released into the wild. I don't doubt that there might be some plec that will tough it out for a while but breed?