10ft x 5ft x 4ft = how many gallons/liters?

Emily

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are some pics i had to scan them from a boook...

DUPLA1.jpg

the guys setting it up...1.2 tonnes of quartz 2-3mm gravel and 25L of Duplarit. of course that was after laying down 54m of undergravel heating cables...

DUPLA2.jpg

it contained over 700 fish when first set up, 20 different species

-totally my dream tank :hail:

You would only have a tank like this after you've settled down for good in one place, otherwise it will impossible to move.

Young people like me having a tank like this would be a huge burden even if I could afford it, I can't see where I'll be in the next three years.

Imagine if you were set it up, then having to take it apart again in 2 years time.

it appears to me that there are a few sceptics out there. Emily has posted about a 10 foot tank, height & depth are larger than normal but it wont be impossible. I thought these days a 4 foot was very common, mine is over 3 foot & its only my second tank. first was an 18 inch tank. i have started making plans & have claimed some materials to make a stand for an 8 foot tank which i dont see as being an "out of this world project". The only real issue i've got is finding the wall space. Im sure there are people here that have 8 foot tanks. A 10 foot may end up costing about the same as a good sized marine setup but its very achievable or have i missed something?

at what size does a tank really get complicated? a 4-5 foot tank while heavy isn't going to drop through your floor and can be catered for with a cannister or sump etc... you regularly see them for sale in petshops and on sites like trademe.

However there are a couple of pretty big tanks on trademe that have been listed for a wee while now - waiting for the right person to snap them up no doubt but IMHO anything over 6 foot and starts to seem a little bit more daunting (but ooooh so tempting!!).

I guess with decent planning etc you can make it happen you've just got to be sure you've done your homework! several posts on this thread had me nodding my head as I hadn't thought of those issues/advantages etc

Just shows the value of pooled exp etc!!

I currently have an 8' tank (2400L x 820W x 660H) and approx 1200L. It's a bit of a mission to move and I've had to do it twice. Hopefully only 1 more time max... The tank weighs approx 330kg and the stand is about 400kg. There's 600kg of gravel in it. It really hurts to take this amount of gravel out and put it back in the same day and you feel really broken afterwards...

I used to have a 3000L x 1000W x 1200H (front viewing window of 950) (external dimensions) and the bottom at about 1100 deep so the gravel came up to the bottom edge of the glass window. Was approx 2940L. This was a real mission to move and required a crane as just the tank was 750kg empty. The first time I had to move, I sold it as it was too much of a mission to move this, the 8', 2 x 6' and a 900mm diameter cylinder tank as well as the other 36 tanks in the garage. It was a real shame as I only had it set up for about 2 months. It did add $120 to my power bill (and that was 6-7 years ago so it would cost a lot more now).

I once looked at building a 32000L tank (7.5m x 2.4m x 1.8m) down the side of the house to become the lounge wall. The cost to build wasn't too bad at approx $12K. However the cost to run it would have been at least $750 just in power so that killed it before I even started. A tank this size is only available to the wealthy or someone willing to put the time and effort into using natural resource to power the tank (wind, sun etc). Most people don't realise an aquarium uses it's purchase value about even 18 months to 3 years depending on how good the deal was.