How do I get rid of algae?

Aquarium Dude

So, increased circulation should do it, Ive got an aqua one 2200 external (2200lph) but I really doubt that it does close to that, should I get just a pump or something?

Ive got heaps of vallisneria in the tank and have 6 flying foxes but I thought a flying fox was an sae? Can I just get one sae????

Feed less and adjust your lighting?

I left my lights off for a couple days (I was away and the tank wasn't on a timer so I decided off for 2 days was better than on for 2 days) when I came home my algae was GONE!

Add carbon to the tank, for some reason that type of algae hates it. Go to your lfs, buy Excel Flourish and add double the recommended start up dose. Watch your fish, and turn off the CO2 if you have it. If the fish rise to the surface and look like they're gasping do a water change. (For my 190 litre tank, the double dose caused no problems whatsoever. ) The hair algae will turn darker after a day or two and will scrape off easily with a magnetic brush and won't reappear.

Good luck!

Haven't had your sort of algae, but have had/got the green and brown ones you find on glass, stone, EVERYWHERE (Well for me anyway)

I got some types of algae eaters, NO MORE ALGAE.... :bounce: :bounce: to the point I'm going to try grow some on some stones to put in my tank so my Algae eaters have something to eat! :roll:

Plus there cool to watch, mine went crazy trying to eat it all. They LOVED it! - some what fatish now...

Is it a huge amount or just the odd string? If it's a lot, try manually removing some. The SAE will eat if off the plants, mine often nibble all over the plants. Their whole bodies twitch when they eat, as though they are SO excited to have found some algae. Other option is to do the black out.

The SAE will eat if off the plants, mine often nibble all over the plants. Their whole bodies twitch when they eat, as though they are SO excited to have found some algae. Other option is to do the black out.

I agree mine happy clean the whole tank - plants included. :bounce:

There wonderful!!

The twitching thing is really cutie too!!