FX5

Billaney

i have two fx5.i got them when they first came out and thought very cool but after owning them for awhile i'm not 100% happy and here is why

cons

Eheim Substrat Pro media drops though the filter tray

Eheim Substrat Pro media gets clogged pretty quick

the screw/fasteners plastic stays gets worn out from opening and closing the lid due to cleaning the clogged media

cleaning the motor is annoying as you have to unscrew it with screwdrivers (make sure you have the seal in the right place before re-screwing the motor back in otherwise you make a pond in your room pretty quick)

pulling off the tap connectors can be very hard if you dont have alot of room above/around the filter

bottom purge valve sometimes leaks if you move it

filter feels like a cheap bucket

never get the fluval polishing pads for it as it will just clog in one day

pros

very powerful filter which does alot of litres

good price, best bang for buck

good size hosing

adjustable twin output head

huge intake strainer

the con list is pretty long that is why i'm going to upgrade to the eheim pro 3 2080 very soon

i have two fx5.i got them when they first came out and thought very cool but after owning them for awhile i'm not 100% happy and here is why

cons

the screw/fasteners plastic stays gets worn out from opening and closing the lid due to cleaning the clogged media

cleaning the motor is annoying as you have to unscrew it with screwdrivers (make sure you have the seal in the right place before re-screwing the motor back in otherwise you make a pond in your room pretty quick)

pulling off the tap connectors can be very hard if you dont have alot of room above/around the filter

pros

very powerful filter which does alot of litres

good price, best bang for buck

good size hosing

adjustable twin output head

huge intake strainer

the con list is pretty long that is why i'm going to upgrade to the eheim pro 3 2080 very soon

Is all the cons because of the Eheim media being the wrong stuff of the filter and would it have been fine with the correct media though ?

cons

Wow! I love my big sump.... :lol:

Whats the price like on the Eheim in comparison to the FX5?

Is all the cons because of the Eheim media being the wrong stuff of the filter and would it have been fine with the correct media though ?

its not just the media that bugs me the most, its the quality of the product and how easy it is to use

i have a range of filter that i run fluval - 204,304, 404, fx5s and the eheim pro 2 2028 is the best one

like i said before the fx5 is the most valve for money selling from $450-$700 (excluding media) when the eheim pro 3 2080 is about $1140 but includes eheim media

I have an FX5 and absolutely no worries or complaints. I don't no if you can call your eheim media not working well in your Fluval Filter a flaw or "con".

No doubt the Eheim is a awesome piece of kit and if you were doing a comparison without factoring in the costs, the fluval would perhaps be left wanting. But value for money I think it's hard to beat.

no worrie at all

i have one, mywater is so clear you would struggle to find particles even if you look close.

the fluval fx5 is by far the highest output and best filter i have ever used.

i find the pipes and clamps easy to manage, the extra water change clamp is good, i can change the water on my jardinii tank in 10 minutes, used to be 30 mins, 3000lph pumping out water out of your tank for waterchange is pretty fast.

my eheim bio balls fits perfectly, no need for fine sponge, i dont use it at all, it cleans it dramatically. and looks cool, looks like a cryo-stasis chamber for an alien....ok too much star trek:P

I agree with with firenzenz. For a canister, its absolute value for money. Maintainence on my big display tank used to be a nightmare until I got an FX5, now I look forward to it. I did muck around with the filter media in the begining but once I got that sorted I never looked back. Water clarity is amazing. Cleaning a filter this size is pretty yuk tho...but it certainly does the job its designed for. I wouldnt hesitate to buy another one especially on my african tanks.

I've just set up my third FX5 this evening. I use the JBL Micro and Sinto media as well as polishing pads and fine filter pads. I can easily go a month without having to replace the polishing pad and my tanks are overstocked.

The tips that I do have are 1) make sure that the course sponges have the corners pushed in so that the ends of the two sponges meet, if there is a "V" then water/gunge can bypass the course sponge. 2) Putting a fine filter pad on top of the polishing pad is worth doing to extend the time between cleaning.

My experience is completely different to evil elmo's but I don't have any experience with Eheims so I can't make a comparison.