April 6, 200422 yr comment_16151 :-? I will be moving house in the next 4 weeks, and need advise on how to transport my fish, tank, plants and rocks etc. Currently have a 80L tank with about 10 or so plants, about 15 medium flat rocks, and fish as per signature Smaller tank isnt such a problem, but i want to be able to make is as stress free, quick and easy. What is the best way to do it, i will like to keep my water by collecting it in large buckets and taking with me.... Report
April 6, 200422 yr comment_16153 I would say the best thing to do is to take everything out of the tank and transport the tank by itself (don't want it to crack do we?). Rocks can go into a bucket and the plants can be shared between the containers that you will be using to transport the fish. I find that using chilly bins work well for transporting fish and the plants will reduce the splashing around. Once again this is great for short distances ie around auckland. With regards to water I would only keep enough water to transport the fish in. Happy moving Report
April 6, 200422 yr comment_16154 I have solid blue barrels that hold 30 litres with a non-leak lid. They are sometimes available from larger paint shops. They come from Italy and had paint powder in them originally. I just give them a good rinse and they are excellent for transporting water and fish. They used to sell them occasionally for $10 each. Not sure if you can still get them but ask around. I would save at least half the water but agree with the rest of wok's advice. Report
April 6, 200422 yr comment_16155 hmmm just wondering wht type of Geophagus youve got? btw: its best to transport them in afternoon or daytime =p not that it really matters cause if you do it a night then the water goes Cold. and fish may die if your moving to south island. =p ty, gl & hf Report
April 6, 200422 yr Author comment_16187 just the common surnemenis (or however you spell it) variety. Report
April 6, 200422 yr Author comment_16195 not my favourite fish, my partner wanted one cause it looks like a "snapper"......... our blue acara gives the geophagus a bit of a hard time, nothing too vicious, but only when he comes to the front of the tank..... invading the acaras territory i guess. Actually, im surprised to how mild our acara is, he only chases the geophagus, and none of the fish who are alot smaller !! The Kribs(who are small) even keep him in line Report
April 7, 200422 yr comment_16231 keep your filtermedia in water of you'll lose all the bacteria and the tank will cycle again Report
April 7, 200422 yr comment_16239 Just one little thing that i found when I moved. (which I have to agian soon) Is that once the fish are in containers put a layer of filter wool on the top and it stops the water moving to much. Also payless plastics have containers that they hire out. Report
April 8, 200422 yr comment_16246 Wouldn't that significantly cut down on oxygen transfer into the water? Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.