Sucker fish - ideas on what type to get??

newfish

HI all,

I would like to get a sucker fish for my tank but unsure on what to get.....

Tank is 215Ltr (still can't wk out how much it can hold :roll: :-? :roll: )

Has 20 assorted Danios - do want 4 more later on....

But want a sucker to help eat algae, and something for bottom of tank ....that sort of thing....

Any ideas??

Don't want anything big! :) :roll:

and would like to still fit in some guppys later on .... or would I be getting over stocked?

Thanks for the advice & patience in advance

Corydoras are excellent bottom feeders and dont get to big, but they do not eat algae.

Most people on here will recomended bristlenoses, they get around 10cm (roughly) they eat algae especially.

or for just algae I recomend a Golden Algae Eater, but many people protest that they latch on the other fish, but I have never had this problem.

Bristlenose Pleco, tough, peacefull, active and does actually eat some algae. They only grow to about 10cm so are fine for most tanks.

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/species.php?species_id=49

Yes avoid the other Common Plecos unless you have the room for them. Even the Goldspots will grow to around 30cm, the others are bigger. Great if you have the space, or intend to get a BIG tank, otherwise stick to the BN sized ones.

For other bottom dwellers, get some cory catfish of whatever colour you prefer. Get several, at least 4, as they like to live in a group. And or some small peacefull loaches, dwarf or zebra ones would suit. They are peacefull and dont grow big (10cm for the zebras) Again get a small group, they will be happier and more active.

zebra_loach2.jpg

If you stick with the small fish, have good filters and keep up with the water changes then you are nowhere near full yet ;)

Cheers

Ian

Lots of suggestions above, but I'd like to add the Black Line Flying Fox if you have any blackbeard/hair algae problems. These guys are fantastic at eating it all away!

The true Flying Fox or Chinese Algae Eaters? Antimates, amongst others, always sell Chinese Algae Eaters as Flying Foxes for some reason - real Flying Foxes don't eat algae and are quite nippy.

I'd suggest getting a bigger tank then getting a redspot, goldspot or common plec.

Ira you are very funny.... I can't get in my room now :oops: :oops: ...... would LOVE a big :roll: tank but its a no go..... I'd be out of a home for sure!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

Thank you so much for your advice everyone..... anybody what to help me go shopping? :lol:

like the sound of the bristlenose and the zebra loaches....

Books I have don't give me much info though...

Main thing is peaceful, SMALL (no more than 10cm pefer),and eat ALGAE cause I hate it!.... :lol: :x

oh how big do the Borneo Suckers get?? can't find them in any books :o

If you stick with the small fish, have good filters and keep up with the water changes then you are nowhere near full yet

Thanks Ian

The last thing I want is to over do my tank.....oh and thanks for the tip on checking temp in tank (from another post) found it went up to 27 near mid day...so have now got heater on 24 so temp doesn't go too high. :lol:

don't want to COOK the fish :o

geta golden alge eater they only get 20cm max

ok...........

anybody got pics?

after all I could be looking at a whale and a shark and not know the difference! :o

ok thats going a little over the top :roll: but you get my point!!! :lol:

I'm clueless here.......

The true Flying Fox or Chinese Algae Eaters? Antimates, amongst others, always sell Chinese Algae Eaters as Flying Foxes for some reason - real Flying Foxes don't eat algae and are quite nippy.

The Siamese Algae Eater (SAE) is very good at eating the black beard algae. I have noticed that in the Jansens and HFFs in Auckland, they are labeled as Black Line Flying Foxes. Good luck with whatever you decide to go with. Have a look at this site for the subtle differences between the SAE, false SAE etc.