October 20, 200718 yr comment_189538 Ok for starters im new to this so I'm still learning and researching about fish etc,... I have a breeding pair of Jewel cichlids, but the problem I have is that after the eggs are laid, about 2-3days later, the eggs are gone and there are no babies.. anyone know why? am I doing something wrong? Report
October 20, 200718 yr comment_189633 How big is the tank? What else is in there ? Are there plenty of places to hide ? Report
October 21, 200718 yr comment_189715 The parents have probably eaten them. They do that sometimes until they get the idea. They will often do better if there are other fish to guard the young from. It would need to be a big tank as they can get pretty agro when breeding so there would need to be places for the other fish to hide or they will go to fish heaven very rapidly. They are a lovely fish but very large and agro so hard to sell. I only bred them the once. Feed the parents well and see what happens. Report
October 22, 200718 yr Author comment_189866 my mistake, i think the dad put them under a rock. they have had there babies.. and there are heaps.. over 100 no doubts. the parents are looking after them well. .. i think.. Report
October 22, 200718 yr comment_189877 Often many cichlids will dig another spot for their babies to pile into once they have hatched and are free swimming... my Jack Dempseys and Chocolate Cichlids etc do that, the main spawning nest dug, then they would shift the babies on to another location... sounds like your Jewels have tucked them away in a safer spot. Report
October 23, 200718 yr comment_189901 Often many cichlids will dig another spot for their babies to pile into once they have hatched and are free swimming... my Jack Dempseys and Chocolate Cichlids etc do that, the main spawning nest dug, then they would shift the babies on to another location... sounds like your Jewels have tucked them away in a safer spot. Well done!! thats just what ours did, now we have wee pin head size babys! and mum and dad still guarding them feircly!! Report
October 23, 200718 yr comment_189914 Hi There I have been breeding these little blighters for about a year now. When they Jewels are new parents they move their young uns around quite a bit. Especially good at this when fry are small or with freshly laid eggs. One pair even lay eggs on the top of a rock them move them several times and in stages untill all eggs are under a rock at the other end of the tank. This can take several days. Good luck with your babies Navarre Report
October 23, 200718 yr Author comment_189926 Do I seperate the babies from there parents at anytime? if so when would I do that? Report
October 23, 200718 yr comment_189955 Depends on how good they are as parents, both or one of the pair could pick them off, or they could be really good parents. The jewel pair we bred were good parents, alot do make great parents. Just a case of wait and see 8) I have a pair of lionheads that are excellent parents, not one baby has been picked off, and they are still in with mum and dad... and they are at least an inch plus now... and mum and dad still very protective, oh also pays to keep the parents well fed so hunger doesn't tempt them to have a nosh up.. that can happen sometimes if they feel they aren't getting enough food. Report
November 12, 200718 yr comment_194515 We have decided to removed them when we noticed the wrigglers, as last time, while mum and dad did a great job, the babbies were far to hard to catch once free swimming! Report
November 13, 200718 yr comment_194661 I removed some fry and found that the ones I did not move grew twice as Quick as the ones I did remove. ( if anyone would like some I still have about 40 going free, sized from 2cm to 5cm ) Report
November 13, 200718 yr comment_194694 hey jim will u send them?? because they can go in my other tank with baby convicts il pay for shipping etc Report
November 14, 200718 yr comment_194952 Yes I will send them , I will find out cost for you first and let you know. How many do you want? Report
November 18, 200718 yr Author comment_195629 Hey Casper, would you sell them at that size? Just wondering... Mine are about 1-2.5cm .... Report
November 18, 200718 yr comment_195684 I still have about 40 going free to anyone who wants them. Report
November 18, 200718 yr comment_195692 Hey Casper, would you sell them at that size? Just wondering... Mine are about 1-2.5cm .... no way. far far to small! ill be waiting till they get to about 5cm mark Report
November 19, 200718 yr Author comment_195799 Yea, I was just asking. I wouldn't til at least 3cm. Report
November 22, 200718 yr Author comment_196575 Looks like my oscars are going to have a feast. I would of taken them if I were in Taupo Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.