Can anyone keep my Missus happy without stressing the fish?

Naz_Nomad

Lights...

How do folk arrange their lights? My Mrs has been moaning that turning mine off in the evening spoils her enjoyment of the fish. I suggested we get more aquariums, but she didn't appreciate that and asked for a bigger house.

Anyway, I have rearranged the lights on their timer so that they come on at 6am, as usual, then go off at 11 am, coming back on again at 4pm until 9pm. I am hoping that doing things this way, I won't be encouraging algae and will not stress the fish.

Any other suggestions to keep the Mrs and the fish happy?

Cheers.

I would just time the lights to come on in the afternoon and switch off around 'bedtime'. Adjust the times to suit your plants/discourage your algae.

The fish dont really care what time of day is 'daytime'. They dont have watches :wink:

So just leave the lights on at the times you (or your wife) wants to watch them ?

Cheers

Ian

I have my timer set for winter - so its on at 2pm and off at 11pm and then don't change the timer so I now have the lights on at 3pm and off at midnight. fish don't mind, I can sit there and watch the fish or t.v.

it also means that if you are out in the evening there are lights on to come home to.

hmmm, my sister is 10, i left her my old tank b4 i moved out, i went back after 3 months, the tanks full of plants and green crap, appears shes done NO water changes, the lights has been on for 24hrs a day... BUT the fish is THRIVING... what the hell... anyways, NEVER LET YOUR SISTER TAKE OVER YOUR TANK.

oh, i quickly took my fish back... and my ornates ate them 8)

my killie cupboard runs off 2 lightbulbs, they are constantly going on for a couple hours & off for a couple hours and it doesnt bother the fish one bit.

I also have some guppies & platys & jewel cichlids in their own tanks in there aswell. Doesnt seem to bother them one bit.

I always have my tank lights on in the living room from dark till 11 or 12 at night (unless I fall asleep & its later :roll: ). I don't have any live plants in any tanks.

It was my understanding that it doesn't make a difference with the fish (at least mine haven't said anything :o:P ) as long as they have a period of night time for sleep.

Caper

i keep really random hours with work as a baker so my lights go on when i finnish work at 1030 and go off at 830 pm when i go to bed the fos dont mind and its always daylightsavings time in my tank too

in winter my wife was turning the light on b4 work at 8 am

times change on the weekends but as Ianab said fish dont wear watches they dont really know what time it is

except for dinnertime they always know when its dinnertime lol :D

chris

Cheers guys.

It wasn't the fish so much as the Mrs getting stressed. I realise that the fish don't really care when the lights go on and off. I was a little worried about two periods of light for them, but it seems from your answers even that won't matter too much. With the tank only being about 3 months old, I won't be leaving the lights on for more than ten hours or so a day, but have adjusted the lights again so my spousal unit can enjoy the fish and the fish can enjoy their beauty sleep.

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

My main (twin tube, plant growing) light comes on at 6am and goes off at 9pm, five mins before the lights go off I have just bought a small desk top lamp with a "GU10" LED bulb, i will be using this as my "moonlight" lamp.

I'll turn off all lights in the lounge and have this on to watch the fish.

small desk top lamp with a "GU10" LED bulb, i will be using this as my "moonlight" lamp.

I'll turn off all lights in the lounge and have this on to watch the fish.

I've done the same sort of thing....just using a kids nite light.... works really well!!!!

I get to enjoy the fish at nite without cause any ill affects... at least so far so good.....

Nite lights are good cause they not give out too much light and there designed to be on all nite..... so don't get hot....

On at 7:30am and off at 9:30pm unless we have guests. No issues with fish but Severums eat the plants so no live plants to wory about. Tank also gets a bit of sunlight too as our house is full of windows and nowhere is safe!

On at 7:30am and off at 9:30pm unless we have guests. No issues with fish but Severums eat the plants so no live plants to wory about. Tank also gets a bit of sunlight too as our house is full of windows and nowhere is safe!

And do you manage to maintain a relatively algae-free environment without adding chemicals to your tank? With no live plants to remove nitrates, sunlight and lots of light, surely algae is a bit of a problem?