heaters

Slightly Blue Dalmation

lol here we go again :)

I used to buy $20 jebo heaters in Auckland but most on here say they're not that good. And in all honestly most of them dont even last their year long guarantee period (I used to keep receipts and take them back get new ones).. I think masterpet ones have a good rep and reasonable price.. Jager used to be good but don't think they're as good anymore all the old ones I have are going strong..

Any suggestions on heater brands that are good and a reasonable price to pay? im guessing 300w for a 200L tank is enough?

I thought it worked out at 1W per L. When I bought my setup I got a 200W heater for 200L tank.

I guess you could look at it that if you get a higher wattage heater than is required for the tank, the heater won't be on as much and will probably last longer.

Any thoughts?

YAY my 100th Post!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

I have had a couple of disasters with cheaper brands so now I always buy Jager heaters. I'm not sure how many watts to litres it is but on the Jager brand they tell you how much it should be able to heat.

I went a bit OTT on my 60 litre tank and have a 150w in there and its fine, just goes on and off when needed. :D

IMHO and from experience...read I learnt this the hard way... I think that 2 heaters is best when dealling with tanks 150-200 l plus.

stops cool spots in tank creates thermal cycling of water and if one heater craps out then serious but not life threatening in an Alien vs Pred kinda way.

HTH

Navarre

I concur,

If you drove a car at the red line constantly it would break down a lot sooner than say if you drove it sensibly. - Just to give you an engineers opinion :wink:

Except that's not really the case with heaters. The part that fails is the thermostat(90% of the time anyway). The thermostat only wears when it's switched on or off. So it will last longest if it's either constantly on or constantly off.