dodgey mail order plants

Bob the builder

bought some plants ,arrived quickly so small one of them got sucked straight through the slats in the filter , I had to get the wife to try and plant the rest as my fingers were too clunky ,they were almost dead in fact if it was a fish I think I'd be flushing it , a disappointing start to a new style to my tank ,anyone else had a raw deal on plants ?

My very expensive plant took 3 days to arrive when i asked and paid for overnight courier. Ended up sitting in the letter box at -3 and was stuffed. Was gutted as I paid top dollar, trader was not all that helpful neither I might add. I only purchased off Trademe as I knew this person with also a FNZAS member.

yes ,but I thought the TM word wasn't allowed on here, I recieved one of the other plants I bought of the website that shall remain nameless , it was half the price but I managed to split it into six or seven reasonable little java ferns so it turned out to be a good deal ,I suppose it's a matter of finding out who the good supplies come from and only using people you can trust .I am currently in negotiations with the first guy so who knows it might turn out that he is ok .My java moss was sitting in the mailbox in the heat most of the day ,the only reason I went and got it was because the person emailed me saying they had sent it on friday ,it could have been a java flavoured boil in the bag by sunday.

I would thoroughly recommend looking at what feedbacks these people have AND how they describe the plants.

The latter often says more than the first. There are several commercial guys in there that will sell you unrooted cuttings which have been grown out of the water (hydroponically). To submerse these is often asking for trouble, and most of them turn to slush and die. However when they arrive they look fabulous and the seller gets wonderful feedback. People won't change their feedback, however once the plants die, for fear of a "retribution red face"!!

There is at least one person who actually describes his plants as "grown submersed" to offset himself from others, so that must be a bonus!

Also look for repeat customers in the feedbacks, which means people were happy, otherwise they wouldn't come back and buy again.

Also be wary of the "hobbyists" as they often sell bad quality plants with algae and snails right through them, often package very badly and try to sell at fish shop prices (which is 3 - 4 times wholesale depending on the shop). Note that I put "hobbyists" in highlights to distinguish them from us here LOL :)

LOL

Note that I put "hobbyists" in highlights to distinguish them from us here LOL

8) Them from us.. thats a good one 8)

Getting back to the subject, i have brought my 1st ever plants off that site, only because the lfs has a VERY limited and expensive selection. The trader told me they'd send it monday to reach me tuesday so it wasnt sitting somewhere over the weekend. Which i'm thankful for. Hopefully i'll see it tomorrow morning :D

LOL alright imsweet.

You wouldn't believe the state some of the plants are in, when they arrive. No packaging to speak of - just a plant in a flat pre-paid plastic envelope, no bubble wrap, nothing.

Sometimes you pay up to 30 or 40 dollars for that, as the seller believe that the plant is so rare - and I am so gullible as to believe it - them were the days...

much more choosy nowadays and much more direct in giving appropriate feedback too.

Good luck with your plants - hope they arrive fine and healthy!

Bought some exotic plants from TM,

received the plants in poor condition had lot of hair algae.

the size of the plants was small very small.

paid professional price for professional plants.

I think the guy better put up a photo of real thing, rather then the photo from the net.

Hiya, I must have got a good one, i bought 30 plants from a trader on trade me and they were in great condition, fully packed, inside a plastic container, and because some of the ones he had advertised he didn't think looked big enough, he threw in another five for free. We have had three snails in the tank since, but we got snails buying driftwood so can't really complain.

I saw what looked like a "big handfull" of Java Fern off the net, to see that it must be a 3yr size handfull, 3 leaves were on the plant after paying top dollar. I try stay away from live or expensive things on the net.

Bad luck there danilada.

It usually pays to ask for a pic of what is actually being sold.

I sell plants on trademe and try to give people a fair go. You may be defeating the purpose to ask for a picture of the actual plant as it means that stem plants need to be picked and photographed then on trade me , then wait for payment to clear and to beginning of week to send. The plants could be in unfavourable conditions for 2 weeks. I post representative pictures of the actual plant for sale rather than pinching pictures off the internet, but I prefer not to disturb the plants until just before puting in the post.

(apart from the one in the pic). If people are not happy with what they receive I would hope they would Email me and give me the chance to remedy the situation rather than posting bad comments straight off. It is not always easy: If they go missing in the post it is not my fault but if I say I will replace them them then I will have lots of people claiming they went missing. We do our best and hopefully most people are happy and at least get plants that have a better chance of surviving than many from the pet shop. And hopefully some that are not generally available.

I must say, apart from one trader who obviously had some snails i have been more than happy with my purchases off TM, depends what your expecting i guess. I got home last night to find my latest purchase in the mail box, opened it (very tired, home late) and was very pleased to see well rooted, healthy, snail and algae free plants. (thanks alan) :bounce:

I'm not sure its the sellers job to make sure thre aren't any snails. If you're concerned you should make a point of asking if they guarantee they are free of snails. Most trades will probably tell you the truth.

It still might be best to treat any plants you buy if you want to make sure you aren't introducing anything unwanted into your tank.

• 3 weeks later...

I think I have read that persons feedback theres alot of complaints about the size of the plants etc..

Sorry to hear you got ripped off Dan for those that don't know him Dan (bob the builder) is one of the good ones, he's one of those people you go and buy 6 fish and he just takes a scoop and you go home with more :) So it is a shame to hear it has happened to him.. What type of plants were they?

If you wanted to buy plants I know I can recommend Mincie off here if you ever see him selling stuff on an auction site (you will know because theres not many others from Levin) you will know your getting pics of what your actually buying they will be well packaged and he will usually chuck in more.. :D

• 3 weeks later...

I have just started selling plants on TM too as we have more than we can use. I would be very interested to how people like them packaged and if they prefer bunches (with lead) or just stems. I have been packaging in plastic bags slightly blown up with a little water and then wrapped in corrugated cardboard - have not had any damaged yet as far as I know.

Mod Edit:... (Bill)

Please use the Sales .. area (may be Commercial in your situation..) to advertise the plants you are selling.

Take note that you can advertise here or on TM... but not both at once.

. All my plants are grown emersed (apart from crypts and corymbosa)and used in our rental aquariums. They grow really well and are far better than any I have seen in pet shops. I have to agree with the comment about hydroponically grown plants as I have purchased these in the past.

Really grateful for any comments you may wish to make.