Hello .... I'm new ... need some advice please

eclaire

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would go for minnows or neons, not both. Minnows used to be referred to as "the poor man's neons" in the days when they were a lot cheaper than neons to buy. Minnows are better in cold water and neons tropical. Neons are known to drop dead easily these days too :roll:

he means 4 more. 6 total. Albino's are just as hardy as other common species (Pandas etc) My personal fave are sterbais. Its whatever tickles your fancy really... Like I said before, get a small heater otherwise they might get a little chilly in winter. they will be fine in summer in a unheated tank though...

my 50 odd minnows are currently living in a tank at 23 degrees. heater is set so it won't go below 22 for the bristlenoses and cories.

once i get the bathtub out the back cleaned out and filled, i will be moving some of my minnows into another tank and slowly decreasing the temp till i have turned the heater off. then they will go out to the tub and i'll start on the next lot :)

my minnows breed fine in the tub at 26 degrees in summer, but won't in a heated tank. i think it has something to do with the temp changes during the day - night - day cycle outside.

just be wary that minnows jump when suddenly frightened (so i found out). make sure you keep a lid on the tank :)