Hello .... I'm new ... need some advice please

eclaire

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you ask on a forum like this you may get some different opinions, but if I give you actual 'Wrong' advice.. I will get shot down pretty quick by the other members :wink:

Your tank is a sensible size, but normal comet goldfish can grow to 30cm long and live for 20-30 years... yes, even the $2 ones from the pet shop.

The minnows are actually a better option for an aquarium, they only grow to 5cm and will breed quite happily in a tank like yours.

I have the same issue with my Plecos. I bought some of them as little sucker fish, 5cm long. The biggest one is 20cm now and still growing. They are in a 200l tank now, but will outgrow that in time too. At least with goldfish they can be moved to a pond when they get to 15cm or so and buy some more baby ones ;)

I'm planning how I can fit a 2metre tank in my lounge for my plecos which can grow to 30-40cm :roll:

Beware.. it's a slippery slope into MTS :wink:

(multiple tank syndrome)

Cheers

Ian

The main problem is confusion as your tank actually holds a lot more than you first said. You said you had a 21L tank but later gave measurements that worked out to be much more than that so the tank size isn't actually as bad as we first thought.

For now, all you need to do is add an internal filter and stop trying to change the pH. Stop the water ager too as I assume you are on the ChCh town supply and it is fine as is. Save money :wink:

Just keep a close eye on the fish as the weather warms up as there is less oxygen in warmer water. If they start gasping or hanging about the surface a lot it would pay to buy a small pump with an airhose for added oxygen. These are cheap.

Hi Caryl - the measurements I gave you were for a tank I was loooking at buying on trademe, not the 21L tank I already have. (I have subsequently found a site which converts to literage from measurements.)

I apologise for any confusion - I didn't realise you would think those measurements were for my existing tank

Ahh.. OK, that clears things up a bit.

21litre tank just isn't going to work for goldfish, they get too big too fast. Add a small filter like subZ suggested and a handfull of minnows will be fine in there. A couple of snails wont hurt either. Add a heater and you could have a couple of corys etc. I still have an old 18l tank that I used to breed minnows in, worked fine. Its got some guppys and a little bristlenose pleco in there now, but it's a small tank, so go with small fish in it.

The bigger tank you are looking at would be better, but goldfish will still outgrow it. Again it will want a suitable filter of some kind.

I have a beef with pet shops that sell beginners like yourself those small tanks and fish that just aren't suitable :roll:

Not your fault, you were just given bad advice by the shop.

Cheers

Ian

anything which you can completely submerge... Jager are the best but are pricey... I have used aqua one heaters, fluval heaters, and a whole bunch of cheap ones and I ahve never had a problem with any. 25 watt heater will be good, or 50 if you can't find a 25.

so i have two minnows now, if i sell my fantails, how many neons/minnows would be ok for my tank?

I will get a larger tank at some point, but not just yet, as I'm only in my flat til March, so will wait til I'm a bit more settled i think

also thinking about an under-gravel filter?

thanks for the link david, thats great

wow!! very awesome set up you have there!!

is that a clown fish??

thanks...those pics are a few months old, will have to put up some new ones soon... yeah that is a pink skunk clown...

for a 21L tank i would say 8 small fish, but thats me, so leave the minnows and get 6 neons, remember that neons are schooling so need 6 min really...