September 19, 200719 yr comment_183819 Anyone else been beguiled by these guys. I had been looking for some top fish to go over some plecs that are growing up. I got four , all about 4cms sand real little characters. Curiously checking out every nook and cranny of their home. Got these shots of net as haven't bothered them with my camera yet, but my juvis look exactly like these two, and 2nd shot of Adult. Actually got them as the breeding program is interesting http://bluejax.co.uk/default.aspx- Found this site which is a great background on them Report
September 19, 200719 yr comment_183822 wow that is a cool fish Good luck with them! What can you keep them with? And where did you get them from? I have never heard of them before! Report
September 19, 200719 yr Author comment_183826 Hey Ryan At the moment they are in a 90ltr tank with 1/2 dozen blue tera and over some plecs, just to grow them up. They're meant to be way more docile than regular Jacks and best not with the super aggressives like Jaguars, texas etc, but ok with salvinis etc. They will when they are ready go into a 135ltr tank which currently hold demasoni, yellow labs and a few female peacocks. So them in planted tank with something like yellow or white convicts, would be cool(if I could find the covicts), or even jewel cichlids with their red. Seems that big enough and fast enough tetras as dither fish are used also. Have to wait and see I guess. I will need a regular JD which I'd get when they got bigger if I want to breed. Report
September 19, 200719 yr Author comment_183828 Got mine from my Fav LFS. He got in 4 at a very good price as they are pricey in some of the chain shops. Apparently quite a few have been brought in so should see them around. Once I saw them in the flesh it was hard to get the colurs out if my head. Report
September 19, 200719 yr comment_183830 Yeah thats some awesome colours thats for sure.. Do you need to breed them with a JD? I had heard that blue dempsey's were on the list but thought they were just the jack dempsey's.. Breeding sounds interesting.. If you dont mind me asking how much did you pay for them? It sounds like an interesting challenge and experiment in breeding them. Report
September 19, 200719 yr comment_183834 saw them in auckland chain stores, probably slightly better in the flesh than the top photo. were 98 each up there so i left them alone, walked away and thought about them all the way back to tauranga though good luck with the growing and breeding Report
September 19, 200719 yr comment_183835 I will need a regular JD which I'd get when they got bigger if I want to breed. why do you need a normal to breed them with ? is it a recessive gene? Report
September 19, 200719 yr Author comment_183836 Definitely paid a lot less than the price at Animates. One of the benefits of building up a good relationship with a Little LFS, as they will get such fish in and settle for a lot less mark up. Yeah I will in the future need a regular JD. Ideal is to breed blue boy with regular JD girl. Those offspring are all regular JD's but carry recessive blue gene ( I think they're calling them blue green JD's or BGJD. A BGJD is then bred with EBJD, (electric blue JD), and of those fry 50% are the blue variety. The first step is to get some of the BGJD going and thats got to be nearly a year away with the size of these guys. I'm not sure if two blues will even breed, or if they do all fry are 'regulars'. Report
September 19, 200719 yr comment_183839 Yeah the site you posted seemed to think that they 2 blue pairs were either infertile or the recessive blue gene made the fry so weak they didn't survive.. Report
September 19, 200719 yr comment_183840 if you put 2 pure white canaries together you have a chance of losing 50% of the chicks as there is a lethal gene in this recessive trait i think you probably could put 2 blues together and breed them, depending on the gene you should get all or mostly blue young, the only thing is you dont probably know how much line breeding or inbreeding has gone on to produce them breeding to a normal is the longer way round but maybe safer with 4 fish you maybe able to try both combinations of pairing but you will need to keep track of what is what in the young others more experienced may be able correct me if im wrong Report
September 19, 200719 yr Author comment_183841 LOL. Two boys and two girls. If only I could be so lucky!!. But yeah this would be a great outcome especially with being able to breed a new/different male with the 'blue genotype' offspring. I'll definitely contemplate straight blueXblue breeding- would make an interesting control if nothing else.. By the time these guys are ready to go, there will no doubt be double the info available. Report
September 19, 200719 yr comment_183842 Definitely paid a lot less than the price at Animates. One of the benefits of building up a good relationship with a Little LFS, Isn't Animates the big chain that bought Jansens? :-? Report
September 19, 200719 yr Author comment_183843 Yeah- and I definitely paid a lot less than the price there, when I got them through My little LFS. Hows that ! Cheers! Report
September 19, 200719 yr comment_183844 :roll: Never mind me, I completely mis-read that statement! :lol: :oops: Must be the heat.... Report
September 19, 200719 yr comment_183852 They're certainly cool and very different fish good luck with the breeding program let everyone know how you get on ill be very interested, would be keen on starting my own if I wasn't buying too many fish at the moment (due to go overseas soon) really sucks because I have 10 empty tanks in the fishroom would be good for a project like this! Report
September 19, 200719 yr Author comment_183951 Ha Ryan! By the sounds of you mate any trip overseas is sure to have a decent fishaholic fix. Report
September 19, 200719 yr comment_183957 lol no unfortunately im going to timor and cant see there being any fish shops im allowed to go to or worth visiting! Report
September 19, 200719 yr Author comment_183960 Even better mate -discover a new rainbow species. Timor- mate that'll be an interesting trip, how long is that in a Herc. Report
September 20, 200719 yr comment_184046 lol yeah I can just imagine the amount of crap ill get for asking permission to go and look at fish.. Theres a newsletter they send home to family and that I would be coined the crazy fish guy or something.. Im not looking forward to the herc trip it was 9 hours to Syndey when I flew there on it luckily I think were flying via aussie.. Report
September 30, 200719 yr Author comment_185890 Got camera out tonite. This is the 4cm little male who thinks he own the boss, which he does over smaller siblings and tetras. I notice that some more have come onto the market. Older and slightly bigger but not nearly as vibrant as the smaller ones that came on the market earlier. I love these guys -real characters and still too small too realise they should be meaner. Report
October 3, 200719 yr comment_186519 A few links that are worth the read. We had some here and they retailed between $90-130. http://www.geocities.com/jackarthur46/e ... _blue.html http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/view ... p?t=108410 http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/view ... light=ebjd http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/view ... light=ebjd Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.