Black mould/fungus/algae?

jolliolli

hey guys,

wondered if you could help me identify what this is

IMG_24881.jpg

appears to be some king of black fungus looking growth on my live rock and coral. Its isolated to only this piece of liverock, any ideas on what it is? what i should do about it? and how i can avoid it in the future?

tank parameters are pH 8, alkalinity 8, ammonia, nitrite - 0, nitrate 10ppm, calcium 380, phosphate not sure but between 0 - 0.05 and am using phosphate remover.

And yes that is a lot of aiptasia! i have a plague of it and i'm thiking of trying to inject it with boiling water or lemon juice, anyone else tried these methods

That black stuff, or something very similar, appears in my tank from time to time, it doesn't spread very fast and i just syphon it. Does it break off in chunks and is white/grey underneath?

There is a product from the shop called Joes Juice to kill aptaisia, you syringe a bit onto the head of each one they ingest it & die. However a big crop of them like you have can be a lot of work a biological control such as peppermint shrimp can be easier, they are for sale from time to time.

looks to be filamentous, i will try siphoning it off when i do a water change on the weekend and maybe cut back on the feedings...

are different shrimp species compatible in the same tank? i currently have 2 cleaner shrimp so i'm wondering if peppermints would be ok with them

Yes they will be fine together. There is only so much aptaisia that a shrimp can eat though & you might be in a situation where there are enough aptaisia to breed faster than the shrimps can keep up so the idea would be to kill what you can manually to allow the shrimps to clean up what's left.

ok well i'm going to try the inject with boiling water/lemon juice method on the weekend and see how that goes. The pics i saw on wetwebmedia of the lemon juice method looked pretty convincing, failing that i may try joes juice, but hey lemon juice is pretty cheap so i'll try that first. Will keep you all posted as to how it goes

ok well i'm going to try the inject with boiling water/lemon juice method on the weekend and see how that goes. The pics i saw on wetwebmedia of the lemon juice method looked pretty convincing, failing that i may try joes juice, but hey lemon juice is pretty cheap so i'll try that first. Will keep you all posted as to how it goes

Yea, the boiling water method isn't too great - its hard to really 'Cook' the stalk and they just grow back. Some sort of systemic poison is the way to go - keen to hear if the lemon juice works.

cool i have some kalk here, will try the mix is there a certain ratio of lemon juice : kalkwasser? Now just to find somewhere that sells hypodermic needles that won't look at me like i'm some sort of junkie :o . Imagine explaining to them why you wanted the needle...

Me : so yeah i have some anemomes in my tank and i want to inject them and kill them...

Assistant: sure you do...

Had a go using a syringe and boiling water to nuke the aiptasia and i think it worked pretty well, time will tell if they regrow... interestingly i found that my cleaner shrimp went round after the nuking eating all the leftover boiled pieces of aiptasia. Is this common?

Before

IMG_24991.jpg

IMG_25011.jpg

After

IMG_25061.jpg

IMG_25131.jpg