Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

tHEcONCH's Red Sea Max

Featured Replies

  • Author

So what is my Cowrie sitting on? Its been sitting in the same spot for days. Might these be little Cowries? Sorry the pic is a bit ordinary, but it has chosen the bottom back corner, of course :-?

RSM502.jpg

  • Replies 1.1k
  • Views 271.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Author

Here is the tank formerly known as my RSM sump. I've converted it into my 'Sea Hare - O - Rama'. I thought I'd stick some dead acro skeletons on top - does anyone have any?

RSM503.jpg

I thought I'd stick some dead acro skeletons on top - does anyone have any?

Your just showing off now............

I'm sure there are alot out there Conch :wink: there's a few on my driveway :D

What will the poor SeaHare eat? That tank is too clean ;)

Redwood have got some interesting bits of liverock in their curing tank if you wanted to have a nosey in there?

  • Author
So what is my Cowrie sitting on? Its been sitting in the same spot for days. Might these be little Cowries? Sorry the pic is a bit ordinary, but it has chosen the bottom back corner, of course :-?

RSM502.jpg

So, does anyone know what these are? Worth seperating out?

You only have the one cowrie don't you conch? Is there a chance the could be infertile if cowries are "not hermaphrodites".

There is not a lot of info out there about cowies is there?

  • Author

I've got two of one type, and four of another, so who knows what they have been up to. The ones with the gold ring lay eggs in a kind of jelly, but this type I don't know much about.

You may have to find out what sort they are, the eggs hatch in different ways depending on the type:

I’ve heard of cowry eggs appearing in tanks now and then, but unfortunately, never of the young being successfully raised. One problem is that most cowry species hatch into free-swimming larvae called veligers and become food for corals and any number of other organisms in our tanks. Other species skip the free-swimming part. They simply hatch, crawl out, and begin their lives (direct development). Unfortunately, I don’t believe money cowries (Cypraea moneta) are of this variety. Among other issues is what to feed the veligers once they’ve hatched. I can only guess that possibly one of the Phytoplankton products available might be worth trying. Just be careful with those. Too much can lead to an algal bloom.

Retrieved from: http://www.wetwebmedia.com/snailreprofaq2.htm

I think Astrea snails do the larval stage thing, I have seen mine squirting stuff around the tank, but no littlies, whereas I have a few small white and pink snails that seem to increase in numbers quite happily.

  • Author

Well, I gave it a tap with the glass cleaner, and low and behold, those little balls seem to have a slot in them - maybe they are shells forming?

Astreas breed quite sucessfully in my tank, and others.

Every spawn results in 4-5 littlees.

Mine spawned about 1 month ago and now I have about 60 babies :o

Well, I gave it a tap with the glass cleaner, and low and behold, those little balls seem to have a slot in them - maybe they are shells forming?

So they could be 'Money' Cowries after all? How much are you going to sell them for each??

  • Author

So they could be 'Money' Cowries after all? How much are you going to sell them for each??

I don't think these are money cowries - they are very similar, but don't have the Yellow circle on their shell - its just white. I guess I'll sell them for a couple of bucks pp each if they are viable.

  • Author

So... this tank...

RSM503.jpg

I guess I should grow some corals or something - what do people recommend for a splash of clour / movement in low light (18Watts) environments? Coralimorphs?

In our tropical tank we have a shipwreck, and if I'm to convert this to Saltwater, my wife wants me to keep the ship :o :-? yeah right :roll:

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.