tHEcONCH's Red Sea Max

tHEcONCH

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what is my Cowrie sitting on? Its been sitting in the same spot for days. Might these be little Cowries? Sorry the pic is a bit ordinary, but it has chosen the bottom back corner, of course :-?

RSM502.jpg

So, does anyone know what these are? Worth seperating out?

You may have to find out what sort they are, the eggs hatch in different ways depending on the type:

I’ve heard of cowry eggs appearing in tanks now and then, but unfortunately, never of the young being successfully raised. One problem is that most cowry species hatch into free-swimming larvae called veligers and become food for corals and any number of other organisms in our tanks. Other species skip the free-swimming part. They simply hatch, crawl out, and begin their lives (direct development). Unfortunately, I don’t believe money cowries (Cypraea moneta) are of this variety. Among other issues is what to feed the veligers once they’ve hatched. I can only guess that possibly one of the Phytoplankton products available might be worth trying. Just be careful with those. Too much can lead to an algal bloom.

Retrieved from: http://www.wetwebmedia.com/snailreprofaq2.htm

I think Astrea snails do the larval stage thing, I have seen mine squirting stuff around the tank, but no littlies, whereas I have a few small white and pink snails that seem to increase in numbers quite happily.

Well, I gave it a tap with the glass cleaner, and low and behold, those little balls seem to have a slot in them - maybe they are shells forming?

So they could be 'Money' Cowries after all? How much are you going to sell them for each??

So they could be 'Money' Cowries after all? How much are you going to sell them for each??

I don't think these are money cowries - they are very similar, but don't have the Yellow circle on their shell - its just white. I guess I'll sell them for a couple of bucks pp each if they are viable.