tHEcONCH's Red Sea Max

tHEcONCH

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wanna get him now, but he'd have to sit at work for 4 hours, not good for the wee fulla

He should be able to handle it, ours came overnight on the courier in a poly box. When we lifted the bag out, it was laying like a sunken leaf on the bottom of the bag. Kevin said 'he's knackered', but I had read that they are prone to sulking and playing dead when transported, so I drip accliamatised him over a couple of hours and he's fine - sulked for a couple of days though.

He's a cheeky little bugger, and likes to swim the currents in the tank getting perilously close to the BTA, and when the Maroon Clown decides that he is too close and has a go, the Wrasse goes for his eyes - needless to say, the clown backs down. Not scared of the Royal Snottyback , either!

I reckon you'd be best to take as long as you can - I generally put them in the tank, in their bag to heat up, then go watch telly. Each advert break I remove some water from the bag with a glass, tip it down the drain, then refill the bag with the same amount of tank water. After about 40 minutes, I net the fish and put it in the tank - that way if their is anything nasty in the transport water most of it will get flushed away.

I'm assuming that ur meaning tank water, not tap water??

Thats my normal acclimitisation procedure anyway, but even with lights off I find that most fish get more and more stressed the longer they're in the bag for.

I'll keep doing what I normally do then, but maybe take a wee while longer :)

Sapphire, I didn't see the mandarin, I think he might've been sold? There were 3 small shrimp, 2 little clowns (Tash wanted to swap ours for those ones! haha) Flame Angel and the Wrasse

I only dripped him because by the time I got him the water was pretty cold, and I didn't want to float him, cos as you say, even with the lights off the fish seem to stress some. And having a nosey Maroon clown twice your size eyeing you up through the bag wouldn't help, either...

How long you drip them for depends on what sort of syphon setup you use from your main tank, mine was a couple of bits of airline with a valve in the middle to adjust the rate, but it runs pretty slow.

I dont have the setup for drip acclimitisation, and if my clowns are little buggers about it, they'll come out of the tank while I sort the wrasse out (easy to catch because they're so bloody worried i'm gunna touch their torch coral, so they hang round and defend it)

:lol: Not until I get rid of some freshwater tanks... but yes, I can see myself ending up with one big marine tank eventually. I really do find it a lot more rewarding than freshwater now - I like that it is always changing and requires ongoing learning. With freshwater you reach a kind of critical mass with knowledge and you can turn your hand to most aspects of it from there, whereas with saltwater there is always something new to learn, and everything you change affects everything else, and not always as you had assumed it would. I like the challenge.