tHEcONCH's Red Sea Max

tHEcONCH

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good to CHCH on there! I think we will post on there eventually - I contacted them a while ago when I first stumbled across the site myself, but I really want to wait until I'm happy with the tank! At least we actually have a camera now so can take some photos!

I think what I like about the site is reading the modifications others have done, and checking out the basic aquascaping to see how people cope with the small space (some are much better than others of course). Also surprised to see how many have the chiller - even taking into consideration the different climates they come from. Must really add to the running costs.

Good to CHCH on there! I think we will post on there eventually - I contacted them a while ago when I first stumbled across the site myself, but I really want to wait until I'm happy with the tank! At least we actually have a camera now so can take some photos!

I think what I like about the site is reading the modifications others have done, and checking out the basic aquascaping to see how people cope with the small space (some are much better than others of course). Also surprised to see how many have the chiller - even taking into consideration the different climates they come from. Must really add to the running costs.

When I priced one up, plus the pump, extra tubing, and considering they release the heat back into the room, I reckon it would actually be cheaper and more effective to install an inverter heat pump into the room and set it to 'cool'.

I agree about the cost of the chiller. We're having some issue keeping the temp down in the heat we've been having but have found leaving a fan on pointed at the glass is helping when we're out. The plan is to get a heat pump with a cooling function in the future anyway so once that happens things will be fine. How's the temp in your tank now cONCH?

I agree about the cost of the chiller. We're having some issue keeping the temp down in the heat we've been having but have found leaving a fan on pointed at the glass is helping when we're out. The plan is to get a heat pump with a cooling function in the future anyway so once that happens things will be fine. How's the temp in your tank now cONCH?

Point it at the surface of the water. It will increase evaporation and you will get a lot more cooling.

isnt evaporation bad

The only bad thing about evaporation is having to replace it, but as long as it's done with good pure water there is no problem.

Most marine tanks lose a decent amount of water to evaporation, my tank is only 200 litres but in the winter it looses about 2 litres a day and double that in the summer. Reasonable evaporation is an indicator that a good amount of gas exchange is happening at the water surface which is a good thing, to flush excess Co2 at night plus remove nitrogen gas as a bi product of the nitrogen cycle.