'ello 'ello

Cricketman

Hey there,

my names Chris and im a fishaholic, i was clean for about a year but now since Paul gave me 1 of his tanks i got it back worse than ever. lol

i have always been interested in water and fish, so much so i hope to make a living off it one day, and am studying marine biology at polytech.

atm i have ventured into a new idea with paul cross breeding species of mollies etc, and may well expand into further species.

i have also got a few ideas that i will post around on getting more bang for your buck (being a student you have to pretty much!) so look out for them,

other than that, from what i have seen there is a HUGE amount of info on here, and i cant wait to get stuck in and meet some fish heads like myself.

Cheers

Chris

The misterious killifish ghost will haunt you and then you will have bad luck forever..... well maybe not, but think about it......

What killifish we have in nz (very few) and we want to make the most of, and im not sure of the facts but cross breeding between species i guess could make the offspring possibly infertile, or if fertile the offspring could be of mixed species etc etc basically makeing one big mess. (plus killies are the best looking fish, why try fix something if it aint broke..... in my opinion)

However its opposite when it comes to the likes of guppies, very commen and many people are basically told to mix this with that to find the outcome

Note how my different species of killies are in their own tanks, and the ones with tank dividers cannot interbreed

yer, i can see that, but what about just for "funny haha" value? i mean, why not interbreed, if you can make a completely new species of killie, would that not be good for the overalll diversity of the genus?

ah well, im quite hapy mixing mollies atm, killies could be a next step, or neon tetras, i mean, what tropical tank doesnt have tetras of one kind or another?? "not many, if any", said scribe...

Welcome, might see you at the club meeting next weekend :)

There are plenty of reasons why not to crossbreed- past generations have mixed certain species and now we have to deal with the consequences- which most of the time arent very pretty. The likes of flowerhorn are a good example- now its hard to find pure trimac that arent wildcaught because of irresponsible breeders and that means forking out hundreds for a fish because they want something pure when they shouldnt really have to.

What we do now effects future generations of fish keepers, im sure we all want our grandkids grandkids to be able to enjoy what we have now :)