Fish Wish List....

David R

This forum seems a little slow lately, so how about everyone shares a bit of info on that one elusive/rare/difficult/not-on-the-list fish they'd do anything to get their hands on....

Name: Polypterus bichir bichir

Origin: Nile River, Lake Rudolf and Omo River, Lake Chad, Chari and Logone Rivers.

Size: 30"+

pbbichir1.jpg

pbbichir2.jpg

Probably the largest Polypterus species, and one of the rarest in the hobby. Not on our list, so I doubt I'll ever own one, in this country anyway... :lol:

fish id really like to get hold of are ...

long nose gar Lepisosteus osseus 180cm

Spotted Gar Lepisosteus oculatus 90cm

Tigrinus Catfish Merodontotus tigrinus 60cm +

Red Tail Catfish Phractocephalus hemioliopterus 120cm +

AfricanTiger Fish Hydrocynus vittatus 90cm

lung fish ,south american, australian and african 85cm-170cm

snakehead channa micropeltes 90cm

fresh water rays!

peacock bass 90cm

thats some of the fish that id love to own! to bad most of them wil never be avilable lol

google search them if you dont kno what they are, you should find some cool piks :D

A.PROPHECY

fish id really like to get hold of are ...

long nose gar Lepisosteus osseus 180cm

Spotted Gar Lepisosteus oculatus 90cm

Tigrinus Catfish Merodontotus tigrinus 60cm +

Red Tail Catfish Phractocephalus hemioliopterus 120cm +

AfricanTiger Fish Hydrocynus vittatus 90cm

lung fish ,south american, australian and african 85cm-170cm

snakehead channa micropeltes 90cm

fresh water rays!

peacock bass 90cm

hmmm! I like this fellow! Merodontotus tigrinus

merodontotustigrinus-1.jpg

Hydrocynus vittatus

hydrocynus_vittatus_w.jpg

why would you want to have that as a pet!!???

• 2 weeks later...

Probably the largest Polypterus species, and one of the rarest in the hobby. Not on our list, so I doubt I'll ever own one, in this country anyway... :lol:

Use to keep a couple of those several years ago!

Seeing as they're pretty hardy and live a long time, you may ned up owing one :wink:

Sold my 2 off, so don't know what happen to them.

Use to keep a couple of those several years ago!

Seeing as they're pretty hardy and live a long time, you may ned up owing one :wink:

Sold my 2 off, so don't know what happen to them.

I doubt they were actual P. bichir bichir. I've seen a couple of lower-jaw species here, I think the one at Jansens silverdale was P. endlicheri congicus, and I've seen a P. Bichir lapradei before. P. bichir bichir is still very rare in the hobby anywhere in the world.

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forum ... hp?t=81664

"in terms of rarity, ansorgii is still the rarest. and i believe there are still less ansorgii (and maybe teugelsi) in japan than bichir bichir. in fact, the japanese began importing bichir bichir some time around 2002-2003, at least thats the earliest i read about, and i read that there are only about 60-70 specimens total imported from the beginning till the end of 2006, so they are by no means common.

the japanese were able to get them because they went to east africa themselves to collect them, and at least one company has operation in that region.

i think a major reason why they're very hard to get is the fact that they're from East africa. there are reports of them in central africa, but lapradei has a wide distribution in west and central africa. given the two subspecies can look a lot alike, its hard to say whether reports of them in central africa is accurate or not. BUT lapradei is NOT cited in east africa.

having said that, a lot of africa is in regional conflicts, and that definitely doesn't help. also some countries might not allow export of indigenous species, which limits where they can be exported from.

so they're for sure found in east africa, but problem is there don't seem to be many collectors/suppliers in that region (at least not like west/central africa). those that are probably don't deal with and don't know much about bichirs."

Did you sell them on trademe a couple of years ago? I remembre seeing an auction and just wishing I had the tankspace!

Any pics??

I'm old, we're talking probable 10 years + ago when I kept them.

Bought them off aquazoo in Elerslie.

Could be...

The guy I sold them also was keeping a pair of red tail cats in a spa pool that was cut in half with a glass panel stuck on in his fish room :o

Don't think he was that succesful in breeding them though.