How do you store your water??

pufferfishnz

Where i live we have crappy water. I was wondering what everyone does with their water? do you store it in large containers? if so where did u get them from? or do you have suggestions on what i can do. I know i can treat the water before i put it in but can you store water in big containers (to allow the chlorine to evaporate) to save you treating lotsa water?

I have a 200l barrel (which i happened to get from Dimebag, who got it from the place he saaid about) and i have it in my fishroom. It has an airstone connected to my air system, and a 300W heater. Instant heated, de-chlorinated water overnight. i also have a pump in it which a pipe is connected too so i just turn the switch on, chuck the hose in the tank and it fills it up :) Its so easy that i am motivated to do water changes daily on my breeding tanks :lol:

I have a big plastic rubbish bin outside ($20 from the Warehouse, was our flat rubbish bin but you can't get bags that are big enough to fit in it lol), which sits under a broken downpipe, so all the rainwater from the garage roof runs into it. No need for dechlorination or worrying about chemical greeblies.

Plus it rains a lot here in Palmy :roll:

God gave pineapple lumps to Taumaranui, traffic jams to Aucky and wind to Welly but gave Christchurch a massive storage tank in the ground. I use second hand food grade containers for storing rainwater. 200litre blue drums where the whole lid comes off (used for exporting sausage skins) Brown 200litre drums (for importing Brandy) and 20litre white containers used for spirits (fill your own) in the pub. With the latter vodka has the least smell but most smells can be removed by soaking overnight with a solution of sodium metabisulphate (used by the home brewer up the road to sterilize bottles). You can also buy taps for the latter.