hi! I'm new!

firespook

Hi everyone!

My name is Alexandra (Alex), I'm 22 and I live in Christchurch. My boyfriend and I have recently decided to get a freshwater tropical aquarium and we are looking forward to it!!

At the moment I am researching (best tanks, what fish/plants I want, etc etc).

So far I'm thinking of getting a 65L tank and fish-wise a school of tetra (probably neon) or maybe danios, I would love a Siamese Fighter and love Clown Loaches but they may be too big.

I would love any suggestions for first fishes etc and also (if you're in ChCh) where the best places to go are!

I can't wait to get all my fishy stuff and post pics for you guys!

Byeeee :)

love Clown Loaches but they may be too big.

You could get zebra or yoyo loaches instead. They are just as active and amusing, but wont get too big for your tank 8)

A bristlenose pleco will be OK too, keeps the algae down. But make sure it's a BN, not a common or sailfin. They WILL get too big, and quickly.

Apart from that, some neons, danios and a fighter would be fine together in the middle/top of the tank.

Just make sure you build up the population of fish a few at a time to allow the tank time to cycle. Adding the fish over about 6 weeks should be safe. Start off with the danios first, they are the toughest when it comes to cycling tanks.

Cheers

Ian

Hi and welcome. I would get a bigger tank if possible. The bigger the better. You will have a bigger choice of possible fish to choose from and a bigger tank is much easier to look after.

If you have a suitable piece of furniture already, get a tank made from a glazier as it is lots cheaper than buying the ones at lfs. Stands can also be made of other materials like cinder blocks, although not as flash.

You could get zebra or yoyo loaches instead. They are just as active and amusing, but wont get too big for your tank 8)

A bristlenose pleco will be OK too, keeps the algae down. But make sure it's a BN, not a common or sailfin. They WILL get too big, and quickly.

Apart from that, some neons, danios and a fighter would be fine together in the middle/top of the tank.

Just make sure you build up the population of fish a few at a time to allow the tank time to cycle. Adding the fish over about 6 weeks should be safe. Start off with the danios first, they are the toughest when it comes to cycling tanks.

Cheers

Ian

that's great, lots of tips there :)

and i had already planned on getting one fish/group at a time (also because if I bought them all at once it would break the bank!!)