UV steriliser help?????????

Aquarium Dude

Hi,

I have terrible green water, Its been like this for a month or more. I have done water change after water change and it seems not to be affecting it in anyway.

Should I take the Plunge and buy a uv steriliser?

What Brand?

What size? Tank is 450l, existing filter is pumping 2200 lph

I was looking at the 18 watt on petplanet

Thanks A.D.

One of these may be a better option. They do a 24w version for tanks up to 400 litres. They are fully submersible and have their own pump.

greenkillingmachine.jpg

Green Killing Machine

If you went for a Pondmaster one you would have to plumb it into your system and I do not think you would find it to be any more effective. The replacement bulbs are also much cheaper for the Green Killing Machines.

I have one, water is still green. Phoszorb worked waaaay better

Yes, much better to find the reason for the green water and solve it rather than put a band-aid on it. Most likely phosphates are too high in the water you are using for waterchanges. I have to use RO water due to 6-8ppm in my tap water. Maybe you need to pre-condition your incoming water to get rid of the offending nutrient. It's most commonly phosphate so pre-treatment with phosphate resins, RO or ion exchange would solve the problem. Also check the food you are using is not rich in phosphate. Are you using water conditioners or activated carbon? Some of these can be a source of phosphates, - especially pH stabilising ones. Some brands of activated carbon can release phosphates...

Hi All

Why pay an enormous amount for a UV Unit when in fact you dont need one.

Fact is, you have the best water you could keep your fish in.

The only problem for people is that it doesn't look nice. :roll:

I have a 24 x 12 x 12 tank that is so green you can only see into it about 3 inches and it contains baby ( 2.5cm) A. Mcmasteri, A. pandurini, Angel fish and pearl gouramis. :wink: ALL DOING WELL

All I do is change a 10 litre bucketful of the water each day and every fish in the tank is doing fantastic.

:bow:

When I had a problem with green water I tried everything and in the end it was an extra filter which cured it and it never came back even after I removed the second filter. The reason I do not like the green killing machine is because the sponge filter clogs up too easily.

Hi All

I dont want this to sound too negative, but: another hobbyist has secumbed to the LFS and all the speil about how good this is and what a beautiful job this will do, and bought a UV Sterilizer.

I ain't in ALL MY LIFE or any of the MANY COUNTRIES in the world where I have been seen a pond, lake, stream, or river hooked up with a UV Sterilizer.

Pristine and pretty just don't happen in Nature, so please all you hobbyists out there lets get back to doing things the older, AND CHEAPER ways; because believe me they do work.

Look for the cause of the problem and work on ways to correct it and enjoy doing it because it's part of the hobby.

Don't just go out and throw a few more dollars at it because a "MODERN Machine" can solve the problem for you.

Enjoy your hobby and learn from your experiences with nature.

Hi All

Not a silly idea either Alanmin4304. :lol:

For all those that use the forum asking for the best food to feed anabantid fry, here is the perfect answer.

Someone with "TOO MUCH" green water, that they could sell.

If I couldn't produce my own; believe me I would be a customer. :wink:

:bow:

I have 1 of the above and I am not impresed with it.

Was it the right sized unit for your tank? Did you run it 24/7?

I ain't in ALL MY LIFE or any of the MANY COUNTRIES in the world where I have been seen a pond, lake, stream, or river hooked up with a UV Sterilizer.

Next time you are out there looking, look up. Massive UV unit in the sky. :wink:

I have dealt with tanks suffering from green water in the past. Good filtration, no phosphates, no nitrate but still pea soup. These units work. You do need to replace the bulb once a year and get a unit that is not to small for your tank.

I have the Pondmaster UV on my own tanks and it has saved be at least $1000 worth of fish. Money well spent.

I agree about the pondmaster mine is excellent and worth every cent but the green killing machine sponge clogs very quickly even though this is only a back up to my Eheim 2233 which I am also unimpressed with ( give me a fluval any day of the week)

Hi All

Yes, how stupid of me not to mention the big ball in the sky.

But the sun doesn't put out the same uv wavelength in total like the UV sterilizers do.

I would expect a shop to tell you that you need a UV unit.

They rely on sales of products to stay in business.

But, I do stand by my statement about Ponds, lakes etc.: they dont have constant UV 24/7 like some hobbyists are advised.

I would expect a shop to tell you that you need a UV unit.They rely on sales of products to stay in business.

There is a big difference between the natural environment and a closed tank or pond system. UV is a very useful filtration tool. If you can get away with going all natural and are happy with the look then that's great. Reality is most people cannot.

If you want all natural you should get rid of all your filter media and your any pumps because real ponds don't have them. You should get rid of your glass and replace it with mud walls because real ponds don't have glass. You should get rid of the heaters, also not natural. Stop feeding them flake or pellet food because you won't find that anywhere in the wild...