Advice on fast growing plants.

Southerrrngirrl

Can anyone tell me which of the aquatic plants are the fastest and easiest to grow. Or perhaps point me in the direction of a good plant database with pictures. Cos our local LFS just calls them all aquatic plants. No names at all. I know a few of the more common plants, like vallis, swords, etc but have no idea if they are fast growing or not.

Thanks!

Thanks Caryl. I already have hygrophila corymbosa. It does grow fast and extremely well in my tanks, I have to keep chopping it! I've also got some Twisted vallisneria.

Was actually after some smaller foreground plants, as thats what I'm really lacking. I have what I think is some sort of sword, but.. its errrr.. rather black and fluffy at the moment. :( LFS is not much help. they don't have a terribly good selection and most of the staff don't even know what types of plants they are. Maybe I should have a look on Trademe, are plants on there reasonably priced?

I got some plants off trademe.. a whole heap for a great price. They all did pretty well too BUT.. I stupidly didn't treat them before adding them to my tank.

I spotted flukes shortly afterwards but had also added a couple of fish so I don't know what the flukes came in on.

I'll never add plants from anywhere again without treating them with potassium permanganate! Trust me.. the PP is cheaper than fluke treatments so well worth it!

Flukes are fish parasite. They attach to the outside of the fish and they make them susceptible to infections. Gills flukes attach to the gills and cause damage there too. When you buy plants they can also have snail eggs and other stuff on them so it's good to disinfect them.

Potassium permanganate can be bought at a garden shop. Sometimes sold as Condy's crystals (it's purple). It's good fertilizer for Tomatoes too :wink:

Do a search on here and you'll get heaps of hits. (I'm sure alot of plants are clean and my own problem was more likely to come from the goldfish I added but I'm going to be more careful from now on!)

Hi jn, thanks for that, I have purchased a couple of plants but all seems ok at present and growing well.

I have found all the fourms very helpfull and everybody friendly with good advise.

Thanks again

Mal.

Hey Mal.. Welcome to the site!

I'm still new at this too really. You've found the right place! People here are great!

I'm sure most plants arrive in a fairly safe state so don't worry! Just good to keep these things in mind.

As you get more fish and bigger tanks (I only have 1 small tank but am setting up a slightly bigger one soon) it starts to make sense to quarantine things.