Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

bugs in tank !!!!!

Featured Replies

Just went to do a water change and my bf was looking across the top of the water and there are tini bugs jumping... lots of them like 100's. Looking at them from above they just look like little yellow flecs.

Tank water is all fine exept there is a slight film on the water. Water changes done 2-3 times a week... also just added some new plants, could they have come in on these?

Any Ideas!!!!!!

Also just spoted a white worm like thini squiggling around...

HELP....

I had them on one tank the other week until i broke it down and moved it. i just ignored them, dunno where they came from, but they were sitting on the tiger lotus leaves floating on the top

I dont think they will do any harm but im not sure

They are harmless so don't worry. To remove the film, use paper towel or newsprint. Lie it on the surface then pick it up as soon sa it is wet.

  • Author

thanks everyone.. I scooped a lot of them out with fine net. Just a bit strange seeing bugs in my tank lol

I had the same. Little brown/red ones? They're tiny, and I tried flushing them into the water but they don't sink and just jump back up onto the side.

I saw a tiny wriggly worm in the water also. At first I thought it was a tiny white worm I'd thrown in but the fish refused to eat it. In the end I just ignored it. Curious where they came from.

  • 2 weeks later...

Now I suddely have these jumpy thingies too in one of my tanks. The fish do NOT eat them, so now I wonder what they are and where they came from? There is a good fitting glass lid on the tank, so it is a bit of a mystery.

  • Author

I had a read about them and lots of people comented that they think they came on plants, A fav being indian fern!

Most tanks have them in tini quanitys but if you feed a diet rich in protin they can become more pronounced.

No harm done to the fish and mine are to stupid to eat them lol

I think theyr worldwide as i have them in my tanks. Some fish WILL eat them, especially young killifish and many livebearers, any small fish that will stalk prey on the surface will prey upon them, dont expect danios or fast swimming fish to eat them.

I think theyr worldwide as i have them in my tanks. Some fish WILL eat them, especially young killifish and many livebearers,

Maybe I feed mine too much as both my killies and my guppies do not eat them. I wonder if they have a hard exo-skeleton or something and are too crispy??

lol possibly, i doubt it with the size but im not going to say your wrong. if theres easier food to get rather than hunting, would you go hunting? obviously if theres alot of plant cover itll be hard for the fish to reach em.

LOL! thats quite a solution! just bare in mind that butterflies like to eat anything that may fit into its mouth. i dont know if they would be interested in such a small prey item. in my opinion though, just leave them, theyr just another food supply for the right fish. maybe switching food for the fish may reduce the amount of food available for the bugs to survive on and thus reduce the numbers. hope that helps

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.