newb to turtles...

Hi :D

I’m a complete newb to owning a turtle. :bounce:

I am only thinking so far, so I can gain a full understanding before buying a tank and turtle and all the appliances.

I would prefer to have an aquatic and land turtle as I live in the country side, so it would be able to run around…a lot.

Though I was thinking of keeping it inside during the day while I’m at school and leave it go for a run in the afternoon.

I have owned a 130 L fish tank, so I know everything to do with cycling (ammonium, nitrite and nitrate)

Though I assume turtle keeping is completely different…

so I have a few questions: 8)

what turtle do u think would suit a beginner best, with my intentions?

could you please name all the appliances I will need for this turtle species.

And any tips I might need as a beginner

I have an idea for my inside tank,

to have the tank only about a 30cm high but quite long in a L shape

where one side will be water and the other land

do you have any suggestions

thanks for your help :hail:

emilie :bounce:

a red eared slider would be the best choice for a beginer as they are freely available at a reasonable price year round these days.They are fairly hardy in the right hands and given the correct care will have a long life.You need your tank which you have ,a heater /thermostat and a reptile uv light which if your turtle has acess to natural sun or a regular basis you may not need.As for them having a walk,I personally think it is not necessary,sure they will walk if you put them out but thats just a natural thing to remove themselves from an unknowen environment.Turtles in the wild in a pond spend all their time in the water,they eat,sleep mate everything.They come up to sunbath on a log etc but don`t get alot of exercise while doing that.The only time theyleave the water is to lay eggs or if the pond was to dry up etc to find more water.They get plenty of exercise swimming.I have heard of more lost turtles than anything through being let out for a walk??

I agree with Repto about letting them out for a walk. Once in awhile if you're watching very closely is fine, but not a necessity. Mine have a large basking area surrounding their ponds but tend to stick close to the water edge so can dive in when startled. They are also surprisingly good climbers and as they grow need a safe depth for swimming. I've known of people having them climb out of tanks with no lid as the water or basking area was too close to top of tank. 30 cm isn't very high and would only be suitable for a short time....given they may live 40 yrs.....you may want to think about something 40 or 50 cm deep to allow good, safe water depth and basking not too close to top of tank. I currently have a 2yr old and a 3mth old in a 48cm deep tank and I really wouldn't want it much smaller than that. I had a rescue tortoise for awhile...a 70 yr old russian tortoise who'd climbed up tree branches hanging into her enclosure and escaped! One of mine used to climb out thru the cat door and disappear down the drive! Very clever....

Defiantly a red eared slider. They are very easy to look after.

You will need a big tank with a shelf or a floating island for basking. A uv lamp, a heater, thermometer, filter (they are very messy). avoid using rocks it will end in tears they like to wreck things like your glass heater will need a guard around it or it will get smashed you can get stainless steal ones now but they are costly. All in all they are very easy pets to keep and are a lot of fun

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I'm new to turtles too and I think I'm having some health issues with them.

They have some white patches on thier shells. The patches were on the shells when I was given the turtles and when I asked a local petshop person about them, they thought it was probably just a lack of decent light. They've had a proper UV light for well over a month now & also get a good amount of sunshine in the morning and there has been no difference. If anything, they've gotten worse.

So, is this normal or is it a health issue & what should I do about it?

Here is a picture of them . . .

Thanks!

Mat

stinge_nz, please upload your picture again, the last one didn't come out right...it may because of deficiency in calcium or not enough drying and toughening their shell or maybe normal they are just growing shells.

young turtles are probably referring to turtles less than 3 years old...before they become adult and able to mate...

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

you can get calcium in the turtle food as well. there are little fish things you can buy in a big container these are coated with calcuim. we have rescue turtles at our pre school.... the owner was feeding them cat food. but with t.l.c decent food and lights they are doing really well.