Has anyone seen this article on Stuff?????

je_suis_ketan

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

100% right on that David.

if the smugglers set up proper quarantine facilities and pretested birds wouldnt have been a problem, more interested in selling the birds for a quick return at big dollars probably.

stupid thing is if birds are imported and exported properly no problems,

especially with dna testing etc.

we could be breeding native birds, closed rung and certified, registered breeders. 1/3 progeny back to wild, 1/3 for breeding and 1/3 for export, all birds tested.

the export birds would fill the overseas market and make it not worthwhile to smuggle, with some of profits going back to support conservation projects in nz, predator control, onshore islands etc.

means the department of conversation would have funds to spend on conservation instead of spending it on supporting beauracracy

Common sense is an endangered species

It goes for more than just birds too, same could be said for reptiles, and all animals and plants. Even CITES, which may seem like a good idea at first, is hindering the breeding/cultivation of rare animals and plants. Policies are made by bureaucrats with no real experience, and no consultation with people in the industry, which is why they sometimes end up doing more harm than good.

Prostitution has always been legal. Living off the earnings, pimping or soliciting was not. The point I was trying to make was that these people are supposed to know what they are doing and I don't think they do. The importers should also know what they are doing as well. They are trained to spot a fruit fly on an orange but fish is such a small part of their job they are not trained properly. I spent over 30 years working as a health/building/plumbing/drainlaying and dangerous goods inspector and you can't inspect things properly if you are not trained properly. Maf are supposed to be the safety net that picks up the honest mistake made by an importer but in my experience most don't know the front from the back of a fish and because of that are not generally held in high regard by the importers.

sadly Alan maybe some importers take advantage of that fact

Maf are supposed to be the safety net that picks up the honest mistake made by an importer but in my experience most don't know the front from the back of a fish and because of that are not generally held in high regard by the importers.

Interesting letter in today's press about this.

Reading how the Glass Kulli issue was handled and the Danios it seems like there are two different rules.

The Glass kullis don't seem to get the jackboots in the morning and MAF are working with the people while the Danios seem to be enemy number one with dawn raids and MAF telling us nothing before hand. It's a pity that the post warren has linked to couldn’t be done before the action was taken.

If any one has a problem with the way I write and spell get a life!!! Or are you just trying to put people down??

BK - If you have a point across, please try to use punctuation, and correct spelling, all I can see from that post is a jumble of angry thoughts and words.

I think your trying but not quite good enough to realize that you have yourself mess up.

Should this read; BK if you have a point to put across please try to use punctuation and correct spelling. All I can see from that post is a jumble of angry thoughts and words.

What standard is required? Please inform me and can someone than mark the post out of 10 for spell, punctuation etc

As Mods, we only look and wring our hands in dispair at the way the English language is abused.

BUT

WE say nothing, because we realise that we aren't perfect either.

An old saying for those that do criticize.

He who lives in glass house shouldn't throw stones!!.

and another.

He who is without sin, let him throw the first stone.

I am still laughing at the Ministry of conversation mentioned further up

8) sorry did i msspell that. :oops:

Field officers are mostly passionate about what they do, but further up the ladder the gums just flap.

He who lives in a glass house shouldn't throw parties. :o

Hi All.

Check out this link, even out of curiousity and in the TOP BOX, "Organism" type in Danio rerio.

Scroll down and click on "Search".

The results astounded me when I read what was there. :roll:

THESE FISH AIN'T NEW BY ANY STRETCH OF THE IMAGINATION

http://www.ermanz.govt.nz/search/registers.html

You will note that incorporated in the numbers there are two letters; "GM", and if that don't mean "GENETICALLY MODIFIED", I'd be wanting more information from some bureaucrat..

:bow:

Hi All.

Check out this link, even out of curiousity and in the TOP BOX, "Organism" type in Danio rerio.

Scroll down and click on "Search".

The results astounded me when I read what was there. :roll:

THESE FISH AIN'T NEW BY ANY STRETCH OF THE IMAGINATION

http://www.ermanz.govt.nz/search/registers.html

You will note that incorporated in the numbers there are two letters; "GM", and if that don't mean "GENETICALLY MODIFIED", I'd be wanting more information from some bureaucrat..

:o:o:o

Hi All.

This topic has created some discussion, but, from one who knows, and a lot who think they know.

Even I had posts "Quarantined" because of the "TOUCHY" nature of the subject.

BUT, AT THE END OF THE DAY, AND NO BUREAUCRATS INVOLVED,THE DANIO SAGA IS LIKE THIS.

"QUOTE:"

A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME IS STILL A ROSE." Genetically modified or not.

The same applies to the Danio rerio, there is NO DIFFERENCE.

So to all who would disagree; Sorry, the fish are LEGAL IMPORTS under the name Danio/Brachydanio rerio, unless of course they are now "PISCES NON GRATA" in light of what has happened. :roll:

For the plebes of the forum, in short: Fishes not wanted.

The original fish "MY FRIENDS" purchased could have come from any of the facilities that have them for whatever reason; :wink: But I make no assumptions or statements about that.

So this would mean that someone at MAF would’ve inspected these fish? Shouldn’t they then have had an idea what these were when they came in for the pet trade? Sounds like the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.