Freshwater Crayfish

markoshark

Just wondering, how many people keep freshwater crays (Koura)?

If you keep them, what do you keep them with?

Feeding? 3 times a week, or do you think thats a load of BS, and feed more often? And what do you feed them?

Interactive? - Do they come and visit you when you look in their tank, and how much do they hide.

I'll go first.

Mine is called "Dinner"

I took a chance and got two, thinking that I had enough hidey holes in the tank for both of them. I was wrong. I can conclusively say that Dinner > Lunch.

Feeding: Once a day in the evening. Gets fed occasional vege bits. Seems to enjoy Serra Vipachips. Feed large chunks that he can hold.

Interaction: I don't think he has ever hiden in his hidey hole. Always is out.

Will I get another one (If this dies?) Hell yes.

Currently the only creature in the tank. I had him in with 5x WCMMs, but I got bored of feeding flake into that tank as well :/

I have been told that if you keep Fresh water lobster and add salt slowly they turn blue. THe aquarium in Picton told us this I haven't actually done it myself but did see their bright blue one lol.

I have been told that if you keep Fresh water lobster and add salt slowly they turn blue. THe aquarium in Picton told us this I haven't actually done it myself but did see their bright blue one lol.

The blue crayfish are a natural colour mutation. They are born with the colour, it is not attained

And the pakeha is a strange person who gets around in a sailing ship wearing funny clothes, pearing out through a hollow stick and pointing sticks that go bang and make the person next to you fall over dead. French missionaries add spice to the hangi. Puha is milk thistle (usually eaten with pork bones as the missionaries are now extinct)

Hi Markoshark!

Do a search, there have been quite a few crayfish threads in the past.

I feed mine frozen peas and they get the bloodworm when I feed my fish (natives). You will soon learn how often to feed your cray. They should have a good appetite and come running when you feed them, if food is ignored they are overfed.

I have only had two crays (and a tiny one who is too small to count) and they have not got tame. They are pretty timid creatures really. Bit like the guy who tries to look all staunch and tough to hide how inferior he feels inside ;)

They can take chunks out of your fish, or a whole fish if they are lucky. The bigger they are the worse they get. I am going to have to put my one back in the stream as he is too much of a worry now.

A well fitting lid is vital, they are good escape artists. Even if he doesnt seem to use hiding holes, keep them, even try increasing them, your cray being out all the time may mean he is nervous. Then again, when they feel safe they will spend less time hiding or trying to escape.

See a photo in the link in my sig of my old crayfish :)

Stella

• 3 weeks later...

I love this girl....when i got her she had a claw and an antenna missing. Shes moulted several times. I feed her on spirulina discs , cucumber , bloodworm , minced meat , peas, flake....anything really. My web searchs tell me they are basically a scavenger and will eat most things.NZKoura.jpg