Ordering products from overseas?

jn

Hey all :)

With the dollar being so high, some of the aquarium stuff is looking very cheap overseas (like water conditioner, test kits etc).

Does anyone know if MAF allows these things to be ordered in for personal use if they are goods that are already cleared for sale here? (I don't expect them to let us bring stuff in that has never been approved)

Hey all :)

With the dollar being so high, some of the aquarium stuff is looking very cheap overseas (like water conditioner, test kits etc).

Does anyone know if MAF allows these things to be ordered in for personal use if they are goods that are already cleared for sale here? (I don't expect them to let us bring stuff in that has never been approved)

Not sure about test kits or water conditioner, but it may pay to check the customs website as to charges that may apply on some objects. I think there is also a price limit beyond which you may get stung for duty. I've purchased fishing gear from the states (bibbed lures, game swivels, reel handles, etc.) in the past with no problems. I've also purchased a small amount of aquarium gear (small powerheads and CO2 diffusers). I'll state the obvious but just remember that with electrical gear the US runs on 120 volts, so you'll need to buy an adaptor. Also if your thinking of buying a CO2 regulator, the fittings can vary depending on the country, and the US one is the wrong size. :wink:

you will need to find a fish store that will send product to you that costs less than the actual product you intend to buy

happy looking.

too many of the US places either don't send overseas or they only send using Fedex

the limit for importing items is $400, anything under that declared value and there shouldn't be any tax applied. Parallel importing is completely fine in NZ so as long as the products don't contain any hazardous/banned/animal/plant substances then i think you should be ok :)

too many of the US places ......... only send using Fedex

that's a good point Wok.

Shipping can be very expensive. But check with the supplier via email as many places only offer the expensive option on their website. However, when when you ask them via email there is often a much cheaper option, i.e. by sea, you just have to wait a few weeks to get it delivered.

I agree with DavidR

everytime you get products from over seas, you take away a little of the profit (and therefore the reason to be in bussiness) from a local store.

By all means, buy from over seas if there is a huge difference but dont complain when your favorite shop closes down.

Also, dont insult them by asking them how to use or can you get parts for or service

Im not tryingt to give you a hard time but just be aware of the true cost if things turn bad

We often buy stuff from Amazon. Mainly second hand books, of the type that would normally be in the $60-100 range here (we also buy a huge amount of books from local shops!!)

I'm only after some small stuff.. and only while the dollar is so good. Like ammonia refills for my test kits and some 'aquascaping' type equipment that I've never seen here. There's a neat tong/snip thing, and I need a pair of long pond gloves with an elastic at shoulder length as I do maintenance on 3 different ponds (often in very cold water!!) Mostly stuff I've never seen in the shops here.

I'm all for loyalty and I'm actually about to place my 3rd order with pet planet and just about all my gear has come from them.

But when you have the opportunity to get something for a quarter of the price there's no really good reason to pass it up. Like it or not, every internet shop is in competition with the others whether they're based in NZ or not. When the dollar goes high and the LFS has the benefit of importing on a good exchange rate they probably don't bother dropping their prices to reflect that. So I don't feel too quilty about seeking the benefit myself this time around.

We've got some books to order too so might be able to get a combined shipping rate.

Hey Wilson, my WCMM's came from Organism and I expect after doing the rounds of all the fish shops in chch that they would be my first choice for buying fish (except if I ever need to buy goldfish, I think Redwood have the best selection and reasonable prices there)

There's a wee pet shop in Bishopdale Mall who have excellent prices on tanks and stuff. (We're often at the new YMCA there) so its easy to pop in.

Pet planet have excellent prices and because I've just been starting up, I've ordered buches of stuff all at once so the shipping costs have not been a factor (I also have 4 cats and Pet planet takes care of them too!)

Does Organism sell tank solid black tank backgrounds (I'm picking up a second hand AR620 this Friday!!)

I've seen long gloves but not fully waterproof elasticised ones. I've checked out websites like hunting/fishing sites and chemical safety websites. I've checked out farming websites/shops (CRT/Wrightsons) too but also never seen any there with elastics. Now if this type of glove fit tightly they would stay on, but usaully they don't , hence the desire for elastics!

One of the ponds I have to deal with about 45 cm deep (starting at ground level) and has walls on 3 sides so I'm usually kneeling on a board laid across it reaching in and barely keeping my balance. The pump and filter sit at the bottom of the pond as do several water lily baskets.

I need gloves that I won't have to keep picking up out of the pond! (Ideally I'd have a pair of waders too but they're too expensive!) This pond gets really mucky from being poorly designed and I don't fancy standing in it or having crap up to my armpits (I've done it before and a) froze b) got really grossed out from the slime and stink!!

There's a wee pet shop in Bishopdale Mall who have excellent prices on tanks and stuff. (We're often at the new YMCA there) so its easy to pop in.

its a good shop but i asked the owner how much there zebra danios were and she replyed whats a zebra danio? :roll:

yes Organism sells black backgrounds :D

Wilson: definitely Bishopdale would not my choice of where to buy liev fish from.

I'll try the farm places again but most vet gloves are meant to used one at a time if you know what I mean so the other hand is free to grab it if it starts sliding off :) (I've checked 'shoof' who supplies farm stores too!)

ok.. I'll try some of these: http://www.shoof.co.nz/nzcatalogue/page_20.pdf

but I still reckon someone should import some nice heavy duty ones like those aqua gloves (and that still might be me!). I'm not sure these will stand up to repeatedly picking stones and leaves off concrete and if they're going to leak then it defeats the purpose :o I'm going to be looking after these ponds for a long time...

hmm.. not sure where I'd find a rubber band big enough to handle my floppy upper arms :lol: but ok...you all win (bloody #8-wire she'll be right kiwis :roll: ).. bye bye nice thick cotton lined warm rubber gloves.. hello 'up-a-cowsbackside-farm-cludge-make-do' gloves.

(Can't a girl get some luxury once in a while - and to think I stopped breeding sheep 2 seasons ago and never had any obsetric gloves around even then!!)

I'll wait and ask a relative in Canada to buy them for my next xmas present :) You have to co-operate when someone asks for a gift suggestion right?? :lol:

Actually.. I double checked nzsafety website and they might have something. Just have to pop into a shop and check them out.