What are your favourite tools?

Loopy

Curious to find out what everyone else thinks are their most indespensible tools regarding fish keeping?

My favourites would be

- a chopstick (to prod around in the shallower tanks)

- some long grey contraption, think it is fluval brand?, with a claw at the end for grabbing stuff out of deep tanks.

- a 10ml syringe with some airline on the end as an extension

- and my DIY modified breeder traps

Whats yours?

I have a 'multi-purpose' tool that came from pet planet. It's a very long handled tool with a changeable 'heads' and has a two-sided algae scraper (plastic or steel side for glass or acrylic tanks), a little shovel type scoop that has open fingers at the end so can scoop things up or can be used like Loopy's forked end stick, or for levelling out the gravel, and an algae scrubber pad that rotates in every direction so that no edge or corner can escape it! I can get my tank spotless without even getting my fingers wet!! I also use if for all manner of prodding and rearranging stuff. All this in one tool!

I would also be lost without my 'squeeze end dropper' (from the chemist, type used for kids medication I guess) for sucking stuff up sheets of scraped off algae or dosing out measured amounts of ferts or just for filling tubes to test water so you don't have to drip wet test tubes on the wooden furniture :) (Mini-turkey baster technically)

And lastly.. my long flat tweezers which in conjunction with my scoop make an excellent set for plant care.

(and one can never have too many ice cream containers for those little emergencies like when you're just trying to vac up the last bit of crud and your bucket fills up so much you can't lift it without spilling! or you still have water in your vac tube and the bucket is full!)

#1 is a bristle brush on the end of a long flexible wire handle for cleaning up the tubes on my external filter as they get gunked up now and then.

#2 are the algae scrubber pads I use to clean the inside of my tanks, removes all algae and spots etc, ...

Sales Plug Removed... Mod Bill.... (they are great for the kitchen and the shower / bathroom too)

If you want to sell something...

Please use the correct forum.

Mod

Bill.

An old expired eftpos card for cleaning algae off the glass without scratching it.

I have had ongoing scratched glass issues and finally I have a method I know is not going to harm it. No risk of it picking up bits of grit for me to scrub into the glass!!

Not only that but it is a MIRACLE algae remover. Takes everything off, even stuff I had long ago given up on ever getting off. Two swipes and it is gone :)

Stella

Smidey looks good, but curtain wire is easier to control and easier to grip.

the tool we use most regulary is the bbq sqewer (metal rod with loop at end) to hold/weigh down zuchini for the bristles and pleco, saves my teaspoons.

and a longgggg pair of tongs to retrive them.

Large BBQ tongs for moving things around in a deep tank.

What I would like to see developed is an 'arm length' extender for me :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

A leg length extender would be handy too.

And maybe a width reducer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

my homemade nets, made out of old coat hangers (straightened) and the mesh off the outside of some old shoulder pads. They are great and more manouevrable than the ones I bought from the LFS and longer.

An old eftpos card for algae removal

a toothbrush for getting into tricky places in ornaments and cleaning my small filter.

And my claw on a pole thing, for grabbing plants etc and replanting I call it the pteradactyl.

Smidey looks good, but curtain wire is easier to control and easier to grip.

the tool we use most regulary is the bbq sqewer (metal rod with loop at end) to hold/weigh down zuchini for the bristles and pleco, saves my teaspoons.

and a longgggg pair of tongs to retrive them.

thats what the swivel is for, weighting the line through the piping. as for weighting the cucumber etc, i use a lead weight that came with plants i have purchased